1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting brutalist animal bracelet, signed "RR"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kittenteethvintage, Mar 21, 2021.

1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Hi All, Does anyone recognize the signature or artist's style of this bracelet? I picked it up at an estate sale because the creatures were so interesting!

It's brass and has various lizards and fish on it, and is signed RR. It's hinged and the closure is on top but appears that the pin to close it has gone missing. 20210321_135607.jpg 20210321_135708.jpg 20210321_135734.jpg 20210321_135801.jpg 20210321_135828.jpg 20210321_135851.jpg 20210321_135629.jpg 20210321_135925.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Brass or Bronze?.

Does the bracelet have two sets of R.R, either end?

It is possible the initials were carved later for/by the original wearer.

It comes across as a keep safe/ward off evil/mystic charm item, hence the initials, West African/Congo inspired, a tourist piece maybe?

kittenteethvintage likes this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I believe RR is the maker's mark . I do not collect or know much about this type of jewelry but I will say it's a very interesting piece!
    It may take awhile but I would do a lot of online searching for similar pieces. Or, maybe someone here will know!

kittenteethvintage likes this.
  5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Linn,

I know very little but if two sets of initials, is it a practice for makers to to mark their items twice?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  6. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Actually not sure if it is brass or bronze. Could be bronze. How can I tell the difference on a non-shiny piece to see if it is brass or bronze?

Re the RRs, yes they are on the interior of both closure ends. They appear to me to have been a part of the production process and not initials that were perhaps scratched in later to personalize for the consumer.

7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,
    Not sure, I Googled the question.

I have worked with brass and copper for most of my career but not jewelry.

According to google answers and from experience when both are compared next to each other in a raw state bronze does have a reddish hue and brass more yellow.

Some suggestions say use a magnet but as both metals are non-magnetic the advise is to use a strong magnet--it might attract/hold a bronze piece for a second or so.

How strong is strong--I don't know, the only strong magnet most households might have access to, is the back of an old speaker--maybe.

Other then that it would be taking it to and seeking the advise of 1 or 2 jewelry expert opinions unless someone here can identify the piece/maker.

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I did a search and found this commercial website with a very good explanation of the difference between brass and bronze.

I don't think I have ever had any bronze jewelry, but I have many pieces either set in brass or with brass components. . Brass has a distinctive odor. Bronze has a more "coppery" color than brass which is more gold in appearance. It's not always possible to identify something from a photo.

Here's the link:

https://www.sequoia-brass-copper.com/blog/brass-vs-bronze/

Vinclothes likes this.