1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Coat with Peacock Embroidery

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Laura, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Laura

Laura Alumni

I found <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8173621711&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT">this coat</A> on eBay and thought it was interesting. I e-mailed a few questions to the seller, and then I looked at his <B>atrocious</B> feedback, mostly for misrepresentation. Oh well.

The coat is worth a look anyway. He doesn't mention condition or age (except that it was made from an old bedspread).

Laura

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

gosh - that's a healthy looking buy it now price! is it me or is it a bit of an incongruous (sorry, sp!) design? don't think i've seen so many different trimmings on a chenille robe before! i like the embroidery though.

3. Laura

Laura Alumni

Ha! Look at his answers to the questions.

"A: THIS COAT WAS MADE ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO ,BY A WONDERFUL LADY I MET AT THE DALLAS APPAREL MART .SHE SPECIALIZES IN VINTAGE CLOTHING USING ONLY ANTIQUE MATERIALS .HER WORK IS IMPECCABLE,THE COAT HAS NEVER BEEN WORN.IT HAS NO HOLES ,SMELL STAINS OR ANY WEAR WHATSOEVER IT IS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF ART IN NEW CONDITION . "

It's made from antique and vintage materials, but it is "in new condition."

Run far, far away! :hysterical:

I agree, the BIN price is bloated. I wonder how much he paid for it? I think he has probably seen "similar" coats sell on eBay for high prices, and he assumes that this is worth as much. If you look at his prior sales, it's mostly motorcycles & related stuff.

Laura

4. Vixen

Vixen Registered Guest

Ummmmm... what am I missing here? Did someone just take an old chenille bedspread and make something fancy of it? Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead walking around in that thing!!!
    Altough...... I woulda loved it as a bedspread! ;)

5. Laura

Laura Alumni

Yes, this artist that he met made a coat from an old bedspread.

I wouldn't wear it, either, but I thought it was interesting. :)

Laura

6. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

You can bet the reserve is the same as the BIN or close to it...

No thank you, you can keep the coat.....But GOOD JOB on recycling!!!

Nanc

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Well..it ended up at $20.50 and didn't go home with anyone.

I had a hard time craning my neck sideways to really see the pictures.

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Interesting trim treatment. I rather like it (not to wear, but as an interesting piece). It looks like the person that made decided to use up everything they had in their vintage trim bin.

Sue

9. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

It's been relisted with a higher starting bid. Guess they won't get their listing fees refunded if it should sell the second time around.

Gail