1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Piece

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Jan 18, 2018.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

While bouncing around the WWW looking for photos to include in the Vintage Fashion Guild's Instagram account (follow us at https://www.instagram.com/vintagefashionguild/) I came across this interesting "matchbox" with a smiling baby in a folded shirt at the Cooper Hewitt Museum (NYC) website. A wee bit coffin-like, right? At the same time - delightful.

98684_e041e7c7525df120_b.jpg

Folded Shirt with Child's Head for "New York Clothing House, Baltimore." Matchsafe, late 19th century; USA; brass; 7 x 3 x 1.6 cm (2 3/4 x 1 3/16 x 5/8 in. ); Gift of Stephen W. Brener and Carol B. Brener; 1982-23-1241

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Adorable! I can see a daddy going to the bed to reach for his freshly laid out dress shirt, and seeing his new baby smiling up at him!

My mind did not go to it looking like a coffin, to me it looks like a bunting......but now that you mention it........

Thank you, MJ!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

you go from EWWW to AWWWW in a millisecond when you realize its not a coffin!

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I wonder if it was an advertising gimmick - babysoft shirts perhaps? This is the idea Persil washing powder has run on for decades afterall!