1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting site about ikat with examples

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Merchant, Apr 10, 2011.

1. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Wow. The first link isn't working for me, but I read about the silk worms in the second link. Fascinating that "they" are introducing genetically improved worms and the local folks are trying to stay with the "indigenous" worms.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

huh, that's weird, it didn't work for me this morning either. i swapped it out for a shorter link, but it doesn't go directly to the ikat page, like the other one. but interesting none-the-less. :)

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

In the haute couture, chine is the term instead of ikat--same process. It is usually on the length, but can be width--I saw hand weaving on the latter in Bali. It can be both--called double ikat or "green"--not sure why on the latter. I bought a very small piece of the double and it cost an arm and a leg. It isn't big enough to do anything with except a trim or a table runner. C