1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irene Galitzine Mod Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by listitcafe, Oct 27, 2004.

1. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

My Best Find Ever
    [​IMG]
    Dress by Irene Galitzine
    Tag reads Galitzine Alta Moda Pronta
    Circles in front of dress are lined pockets
    I having difficulty pricing dress.
    Really awesome dress.....
    Thoughts on the subject?

-Chris
    www.listitcafe.com

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Chris..

That's cute! Almost looks like a dress and seperate jacket. I wonder if we have it in the label resources.

There are a few ladies on this board (specifically our Brits) who are also Mod aficianados and might be able to shed some light on the subject. I have no idea on pricing this one. there is no hard and fast rule. depends on where you are selling it, and the condition is critcal over anything else. (go over with a fine toothed comb) the more you ask for it, the more scrutinous you must be (although i try to be scrutinous anyhow)

then decide if you want a profit but yet have it move, or do you want to wait until "you get the price you think it should go for when the right person found it"

Chris

3. listitcafe

The dress is in great condition. Just the tag is a bit dirty an thats it (Weird) The fabric is well made the bottom fabric is a bit heavier than top.

4. Patentleathershoes

What is the fabric? that will also play a big role on pricing and desirbility. I stillhave no clue on a number but it will help narrow it down for other folks.

5. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Galitzine had such an amazing life story - is she not in the resource?

Has none of her stuff come up on Ebay? Sorry, I'm not being very helpful asking these questions...

Lin

6. listitcafe

No tag to say what fabric is. I would guess a cotton wool blend. The top of dress is medium weight has slight stretch to it. Bottom is heavier version of same fabric. The fabric is heavy and stiff enought to keep shape.

7. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Just did some snooping. Not the same, but a great comp. for 1970:

[​IMG]

8. listitcafe

Nothing but fabric patterns for e-bay... I could not find any reference online. I found stuff on on her, which is real cool and luved the samples of her dresses...

9. listitcafe

Today was a great vintage day for me. Also found a vintage Chloe Dress too...
    [​IMG]

10. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Cool! On pricing the first dress, I think we need some VFG-ers with more live auction/ museum experience to offer an opinion. I haven't the foggiest what to price that kind of high profile ready-to-wear at outside of Ebay-hope-for-the-best.

11. Patentleathershoes

wool blend is good...polyester usually doesn't command as much of a price, particularly poly doubleknit..but the finer drapier polyester can do alright just as it exists in modern blouses and you would not know it wasn't rayon.

12. Patentleathershoes

13. listitcafe

what does bumpmean?

14. Patentleathershoes

Oh..when a thread falls off "today's posts", i was posting so it would show for "today" again so someone might see it and offer more input.

15. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi,

All I could find on Irene Galitzene was the following (and it wasn't much)...

"Irene Galitzene, Italian couturier of the 1960s. Designed suits like Audrey Hepburn wore"

Do you have a pic of the Chloe label?

Sue

16. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Alta Moda Pronta means High Ready Fashion, so its off the rack, not couture, but its a very nice dress, reminds me of early Pierre Cardin. Very Mod, maybe 1965ish? Looks like the sort of thing you see in magazines with ankle boots and helmets. If it were mine I would want BIG$ for it. Certainly nothing less than $125.00, and hope for more like $300.00. Galitzine isn't really well known. I looked her up and she was apparently of Russian extraction and started off as a copyist, buying French Haute couture and knocking them off for clients in Rome. Eventually she started designing her own clothes, and won lots of awards in the early 60s for her work, so I would say you have a great example of when she was at her prime.

17. listitcafe

i am away from home until Monday... WHere I have picture of Chloe Label... Will upload then

18. listitcafe

Here are labels for chloe dress and Galitzene dresses

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]