1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Iron Like Nylon - Avoid Hot Iron" Zipper on 50s or 60s dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vlk94, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Vlk94

Vlk94 Registered Guest

Hey everyone! I'm trying to date this dress. I'll include photos, but I apologize for the shape its in! It desperately needs an iron, and mine keeps turning itself off (I'll have to order a new one, any recommendations?)

The Zipper says "Iron Like Nylon - Avoid Hot Iron" which I see quite a bit. From the small amount of research I've done, it seems that everyone thinks that is a 60s trait? I was thinking 60s, yet still curious about the zipper! Was it exclusively 60s?

I feel embarrassed showing photos of such a wrinkly dress, but thank you in advance!

(Also ignore the wilting flowers in the background! Its the reason I love plotted plants!)

Attached Files:

2. Delaney52

Delaney52 Registered Guest

I do not know too much about the "iron like nylon" zipper, but I do have a very late 50s/early 60s dress that has one. Judging by the style, I would date this dress to the earlier half of the 60s.

3. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

This thread caught my eye. I also have a homemade dress with this zipper.
    Side zipper. It sticks though. Is there a way to fix it? I know the metal ones can be with wax?
    Not broken but hard to close.

I know about pencil lead and soap but I don't want the lead on the garment and doesn't seem like the soap would last? I have never bought any with this problem but it was so pretty I could not pass it up.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  4. Agree with early '60s and home made on this dress.

No help on the zippers but I generally replace a difficult nylon zipper as you'll get more problems with them. One of many reasons why I prefer the older, metal versions.

5. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

foofoogal, try dry soap on your stuck zipper. Just run it up and down on both sides (inside and outside)

6. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I sometimes use one of those WD-40 pens. They also sell an inexpensive version at the dollar store which does the same thing. I find that if I press the pen tip against the metal pull just once, it will loosen it. I do try to be very careful in order to avoid getting any lubricant on the clothing.

7. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Thanks so much all.

Laura, I cannot believe I forgot about WD40. My dear FIL believed in that product completely.

Sandy

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.