1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Anyone Familiar with this UK Label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bartondoll, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I want to list this gossamer thin 100% silk dress from
    the 70s. The label...Treacy Lowe London is ringing a bell with me, but I can't find any info on it.

The labels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dress (smocked bodice, floaty skirt...very wood nymphy :) )

[​IMG]

2. Hey Sue,

Treacy Lowe was a fashion firm that was started in 1971 by Kathy Lowe Howden. Started working in fashion in 1948. She worked for Marshall Fields as a buyer for their Import Bazaar. She took a break from fashion from 1961 to 1966. In 1966 returned to work as a fashion and merchandising coordinator for Jaeger in London.

She started Treacy Lowe in 1971 with her husband Kenneth Howden, a retired English businessman. The Treacy Lowe line was known for its bold and variated stripes and use of color. Their garments cost between $120 - $300+ in the mid 70s.

Hope that helps!

~Maureen

3. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

well done maureen! i feel ashamed that i am in the uk and didn't know any of that... you learn something new every day!

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

:clapping::clapping:

Thank you Maureen!!! I know I have some info in one of my books but I could not find anything yesterday.

Thankee! Thankee!

:love008::love008:

5. My pleasure!! :D

6. Lowe

Lowe Registered Guest

Wow! I googled my aunt's name and this came up. Yes, Maureen has the scoop. My aunt and uncle were incredible people with an eye for fashion. I have several dresses they gave me. My Uncle Kenneth was a sweetheart but has passed away. I miss him terribly. My aunt is still living in England. She was always into fashion. She attended the University of Arizona and definately made her mark there before leaving to work at Marshall Fields and then on to Europe. She was one of three daughters of Forrest and Johanna Quigley Lowe. Their dresses are beautiful and I see them from time to time for sale in high end Vintage stores. Thanks for the memories....

C-LDNR likes this.
  7. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Lowe, that is so very cool! Thank you for posting
    your connection with this label.

Sue

C-LDNR likes this.
  8. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

wow...now thats what I call information!!! thanks for posting Lowe!!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We just got a Treacy Lowe donated to the museum. Does anybody have more info about the label since this was posted - like when they went out of business? Our item is a nightgown in embroidered white cotton, made in India for Tracy Lowe and sold through Creeds in Toronto, which went out of business in 1991, so that narrows it down to 1971 - 1991.

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

We bought one of her dresses a few months ago and it sold super quickly to a buyer in Australia.
    Here is the info we found researching her.

Label: Made in India For Treacy Lowe London. To Be Dry Cleaned.

Treacy Lowe was started in 1971 by Kathy Lowe Howden with her husband Kenneth Howden. Lowe started her fashion career in 1948, working for Marshall Fields and Import Bazaar. In 1966 she became a merchandising coordinator for Jaeger in London. Her dresses sold for between $120 and $300 during the mid-70s, an expensive price point for that time.
    Content label: 100% silk. Made in India CA00300. The CA number belonged to Simpsons Ltd, c/o HBC Private Brands. Simpsons was a Canadian department store that was owned during the 70s by the Hudson’s Bay Company.

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The latest reference I found to Treacy Lowe's fashions was in a 1985 newspaper, so that narrows it a bit further for you.

Hattysattic and Jonathan like this.
  12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Simpson's came under HBC control in 1978, so your piece probably predated 1978

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Found an image of Kathy Lowe Howden from 1984:
    Kathy Lowe Howden 1984.jpg

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President