1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a term for this wool weave and dating help on Tux/Dinner jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Sep 23, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hey everyone,
    The wool of this jacket has a rectangular slightly irregular pattern....is there a term for it?
    Also, the ACWA label gives a range of 1949-1962....would this sit earlier or later 50s?
    Thanks alot for any input.
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Just bumping this for last chance query!

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

it looks like a brocade, to me. also, the pattern looks 60s to me, but it would be good to get some other's input on it....

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Or might it be a damask? Is it reversible (if you can see the back of the fabric)?

I would just call it a geometric damask/brocade/whatever the weave is technically.

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Ruth, I can't see the back of the fabric.
    Thanks to you both!!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It actually looks more like a 60s jacket to me than 50s. It's really a nice tux jacket!

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

block paving, or crazy paving :P

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

If it is a woven-in pattern (not embossed), you could at least be sure that it is a jacquard weave of some sort. The pattern itself is whatever you'd like to call it...as far as I know it doesn't have a specific name. I kind of like Melanie's paving!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Are you sure about the ACLA label dates because that really wide lapel looks c. 1970 to me.

10. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

11. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

I'm so ashamed. The little R in the VERY very back edge of the label was under the stitching which I undid to double check on @Jonathan query.....okay so it's for 1962-1976.

12. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Agree with Jonathan, the wide lapels, wide patch pockets and overall shape suggests 70s.

13. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

thank you all very much!