1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a way to repair this Mr. Blackwell?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Apr 7, 2020.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I have this set by Mr. Blackwell—
    P1013865.JPG

So far, so good, right?

Well it came back from the cleaners with an area of the top that seems to have its gold lamé still, but not the other fiber in the fabric. It is a very light, semi-sheer fabric. There is not a thread exposed to burn, but I would guess it is either rayon or silk with the lamé.

A close up of the fabric
    P1015789a.jpg

Is there a way to repair this?
    P1015787a.jpg

P1015788a.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a great outfit, what a drag that the lamé thread opened up. I don't like the iron on patches but in this case it might help. Hopefully, Claire or someone who is knowledgeable about sewing can give you a better idea on this one, Maggie.

It is fabulous!

denisebrain likes this.
  3. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

I can remember having a Barbie that had a gold lame outfit that developed a problem like this. My mother did repair it but I can’t remember how she did it. So I think it is possible.

denisebrain likes this.
  4. denisebrain

Thank you MJ, it is pretty great alright! I was wondering about some sort of adhesive (Stitch Witchery or something?). I have never used anything like that, and my seamstress hadn't either. However it is hard for me to imagine a way to sew something inside to stabilize it.

Thank you Louise—you give me hope!

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Such an amazing outfit- and so sad this has happened! Lame is a nightmare sometimes....
    I would put a similar fabric behind the area, and some net or cobweb gauze and do lots of rows of fine hand stitching across and down to contain this.
    OR Lame hates heat, but you could be brave and with a pressing cloth and low temperature try a very fine double sided fusing like vliesofix sandwiched between the garment and a fabric patch beneath- this may make it a little crisp but would contain the damage, then with a very fine sharp needle hand stitch over to further secure.

6. denisebrain

Wow, OK Gayle—challenge accepted!

For option one, part of the challenge would be to find a tissue light lamé. I've never felt one as light as this~ Or could it just be a very light silk or rayon?

Thank you for your expert input!

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I agree with Gayle. a very light silk such as georgette or chiffon would be my first choice. Museums used crepelene, but I don't have a source. I've always used silk.

Any fusible will add some crispness, but there is a very lightweight woven fusible from Japan. I order it from Hisako who is in the Seattle area. Some of the fusible knits are also soft. You'll have to experiment with samples to see how much crispness they add.

Reminder when using a fusible you need heat and lame' doesn't like heat.

8. denisebrain

Thank you Claire—I am very glad to know these options. My poor seamstress was not willing to give this a go, but I am.

Suzanne, no, I waived my rights on this one. :no:

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Hooray for Gayle and Claire, seamstresses par excellent. I may still have some crepelene if you are not able to find something suitable to back the area. Let me know if you need it and I'll look.
    Marian

10. denisebrain

I am so glad I posted this here because I am learning a lot! I did not know of crepeline, and have added it to my long list for updating the Fabric Resource. It looks like a loosely woven silk, but with some body to it, right? Marian, I would love to take you up on that offer, unless georgette would be just as good.

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

12. denisebrain

I know it's silk, but it looks almost like plastic in that image! Interesting.

13. Oh no! I learned to never do that after my pieces got damaged beyond repair. At least you are handy enough to do the repairs.
    Why I never dry clean anymore

14. sewingmachinegirl

Hi Maggie, as Claire said, and yes a light silk and/or a georgette would work well.

denisebrain likes this.
  15. denisebrain

16. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I used to buy from this company:

https://www.talasonline.com/search?keywords=crepeline

Crepeline almost disappears. You could get several sample cards - maybe that will be big enough to take care of the area!
    I had to cut a huge veil for Macbeth out of crepeline. It was like cutting and sewing air.

17. denisebrain

Thank you for that Hollis! I should have said above: Marian sent me some crepeline, plenty large enough for this and other jobs, along with some very light iron-on net. Now I just need to sew like a fairy!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  18. sewingmachinegirl

Please post before and after pics Maggie!

19. denisebrain

I will Gayle! (If I manage to not screw it up!)

sewingmachinegirl likes this.