1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there demand for vintage shoes?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by mimilight, Jan 24, 2023.

1. mimilight

mimilight Registered Guest

Hello all! I just joined and am setting up my first vintage shop on etsy. I'm wondering about the market for vintage heels. I sold to a local vintage store last year and she passed on all the heels because in her experience people weren't really buying them...I've got a bunch of really nice pairs to list, Euro/Brazilian leather, unique style, great condition. Is there much online demand for dressy shoes in general? Here's one pair--burgundy snakeskin. This seems like a good place to ask! Thanks!

IMG_2311.JPG

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

One local shop passing is telling you their experience, if many shops pass - that would be a trend. I know many vintage collectors who only wear modern shoes. Except for my slippers and sneakers, all of my shoes are vintage... but, as always, different things are desirable to different people. 80s heels, like yours, above, are still really easy to come by. I would recommend doing more of your own research and scouting, but it says a lot that your local shop didn't want them. And, shoes are heavy to ship - so an online shop has that added expense.

3. mimilight

Sure, thanks! Really just getting started on the research/scouting here. I do think I'd wear them all myself if they fit me. :)

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

In my experience, the prices for vintage shoes in general have fallen off in recent years. Of course that depends on the era and the style , and often the shoe's size. Unless they are a rare or hot style, or a super high end designer, small size shoes will often sit on a shops shelf for long time or never sell at all. Are all of your shoes the same size and what size are they?

1980s shoes have never sold for me unless they are really a special or iconic maker or style, and I usually pass on them at Estate sales, etc.

5. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

I’ve had a fair amount of luck with shoes and boots. They do have to have an iconic look or something unique about them. They tend to take longer to sell but eventually do. I stay away from very small or narrow sizes.

6. mimilight

They are on the smaller side, 6–7.5. I basically inherited them all so I may as well list the best ones I guess? Some are pretty plain, so I can donate those. Hmm. Thanks, y'all!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

No harm in listing a few and see what happens. You'll begin to get a feel for whether it's worth it to you, for the time it takes and the price you might achieve. To some extent that's a subjective and personal decision, what another seller might not want to bother with may be fine for you, especially as you are starting out.

I really like these shoes!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree... give it a try and you'll see. I've had some success with shoes even though the shipping from my location (Switzerland) is high. I think key are good photos, full disclosure of any damage/wear, and taking accurate measurements, as sizing can be all over the place.