1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this 30’s or 70’s does 30’s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Eliz.bxth, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Eliz.bxth

Eliz.bxth Registered Guest

I’ve been unable to identify this piece. It’s only tag says “a foreman fabric’ made of ‘Bemberg’ rayon” it also has a zipper on one side starting at the rib cage.

Attached Files:

2. Hello and welcome to the forums.

Nice piece: can you tell us more about it please? Pics of the zipper and label would be great too. Is it just a blouse? Is that elastic in the sleeve cuffs? Does it have shoulder pads? What are the buttons like?

thank you

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Bemberg rayon makes more likely 30s than 70s, I think, though it would be good to have the additional details as Nicole says.

I'm wondering it was originally a dress that was cut in half to make a blouse. Any signs of it having been altered?

4. Eliz.bxth

I hope this helps! I felt pretty certain that it was 30’s until someone else that wears vintage said it looked more 70’s.

Attached Files:

5. Eliz.bxth

Also, no there are no shoulder pads. It’s a blouse, & it doesn’t have any stretch in the sleeve, I have to squeeze my hands in & out!

6. Thanks for the extra pics and info: very helpful.

Google has revealed several adverts for Foreman Fabrics from the '40s and now that I can see the buttons, they look late '40s so I think your blouse is late '40s, about '46-48.

I also found a newspaper article that mentions 'Foreman Fabric' and 'Bemberg' in 1946.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Late 40s makes much more sense than 30s. I couldn't see 30s in that print , and especially with that zip. Zips aren't unheard of in 30s clothing, but they are unusual and tend to be 'different' than later zips.

Gorgeous blouse.

8. I think you're right Ruth, and it's a cut down dress. Blouses like this are uncommon in this era.

What side is the zipper on? Should be the left side: I suspect the button opening goes to the back, not the front.

9. Eliz.bxth

With the buttons in the front the zipper is on the left side.

10. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

It looks like the zipper zips in a downward direction, rather than up from the hem/bottom, is that correct?

11. Well spotted MS: zipper down says blouse.

Retro Ruth likes this.