1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a 'beach dress'?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, May 12, 2020.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone, I have a couple of these that looks 60/70s to me and they are made of a sort of stretchy lycra-y like bathing suit-ish fabric

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't think these were beach dresses, just summer polyester dresses from what I remember.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I would agree - 70s summer dress. I have one in my closet as well. Very practical for traveling, I have to say!

laurenm likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have to say I really disliked polyester in the 60s and 70s and that was one of the main reasons I got into looking for vintage. My grandmother gave me a lot of her 1940s and early 50s clothing and I was hooked!

As Karin states above polyester fabric does travel well! I have over the last 20 years come to appreciate that older polyester compared to the new synthetics.

5. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Yes - I see a beach dress too. I've had some maxis made out of that type of fabric.

Speaking of fabric - that print is AMAZING. Spiderwebs!

laurenm likes this.
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It's a summer dress. I don't think it was meant for beach wear.

7. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Not sure if it's a "beach dress" per se. A cute summer dress that certainly could be worn to the beach though!

laurenm likes this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Exactly!

Yes, 1970s polyester is so much better than modern synthetic stuff. I don't go overboard in buying 70s poly stuff, but I do have some nice items that I've really come to love.