1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a vinyl coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluevelvetvintage, Oct 5, 2004.

1. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Thought this funky metallic gold coat would be good for some type of Halloween costume. Don't ask me what, though.

Do I call this vinyl? It is thin and has a crinkly texture on the outside.

Thanks, Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dancingdresses

dancingdresses Registered Guest

Hi Theresa -

I know exactly the material you're describing . . but I have no idea what the composition is.
    Sorry . . . :(
    C

3. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I know exactly the type of material too.....and like C do not remember what it is called. I don't know if you would call it vinyl...it is more like an
    aluminized plastic wrap material. (big help huh?)

Sue

4. dancingdresses

dancingdresses Registered Guest

You know, I'm wondering if it is a Mylar composition?
    When Mylar first came out, there were attempts to use it in a variety of applications . . . and this <I>may</I> be one of those attempts. (?)

Could it be Mylar fused to a thin, woven backing?
    C

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Bingo on the MYLAR! That is what I was thinking of and couldn't for the life of me come up with the word!

Sue

6. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Thank you! Vinyl just didn't seem right. This almost has a papery feel to it, but the backing reminds me of the stuff that's behind those old oilcloth tablecloths. Now if I can just come up with some creative keywords to try and sell it!

Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

7. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

Yuppers its MYLAR, same sort of treatment as the bags the Superstore makes for refrigerating your groceries during the hot summer months, little shopping bags that they sell for 5 bucks, supposed to keep your food cold! (or hot)

Nanc

8. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I wonder if this could be the same or similar fabric that those old sauna suits were made of. If so fetish people may be interested in this I think I would add the word plastic to the title. And then put a blurb that it seems similar to a plastic backing because the back does look to have some type of plastic coating to it. But if I am seeing it wrong then don't use the plastic angle.

Gold Vegas Lounge Mylar Plastic Fetish (?) Coat Dress

May not all fit

Or Gold Vegas Lounge Mylar Rustle Coat Dress

Some people love the sound of rustling fabric