1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this an upcycled piece?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, Mar 26, 2021.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi everyone!

I've had this piece for a bit, it stumps me :wacko:.

Its a one piece vest top that has an attached capelet. The fabric is linen and the embroidery is a combination of hand and machine, with the larger motifs beautifully hand done and the scalloped edges are machine done. The seams, darts, and finishings are sewn by hand with large basting stitches. When I first purchased I thought was upcycled piece made with older linens and buttons.

Any insights? Thank you!

PantsWhiteStripe-2085_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails2-2351_RT.jpg PantsWhiteStripe-2086_RT.jpg LabelsandDetails2-2354_RT.jpg PantsWhiteStripe-2088_RT.jpg PantsWhiteStripe-2092_RT.jpg 2021-03-26 09.38.07.jpg 2021-03-26 09.38.16.jpg 2021-03-26 09.38.24.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely. It looks like a combing shawl to me. Let's see what others think.

carla rey likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I see an upcycled tablecloth or similar.

carla rey likes this.
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm leaning toward upcycled because the scale of the scalloping looks larger than you'd expect—more like (as Ruth said) a tablecloth. It is lovely!

GemGem, carla rey and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Maggie, I think you've articulated what I was intuiting without consciously realising! It's the large scale of the details, as you say.

I love those spherical covered buttons!

GemGem and carla rey like this.
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm not sure it's upcycled from a tablecloth. The buttons and the details are similar to those on the 1988 Nancy Johnson dress I wore when I got married. Not a great photo but you can see the buttons and cutwork. It was made in Hong Kong.

[​IMG]

I still have it so can take a closer photo if you need it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    GemGem and carla rey like this.
  7. I too feel it was upcycled, but in the era, but not from a tablecloth. I have had dusters and skirts with this lovely type of heavy embroidery.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Jonathan and carla rey like this.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It was upcycled from something. I agree that the heavy embroidery was used on clothing in that pre WW1 era, but that tuck seam and the armhole finishing are very home made modern alterations. Hard to tell what it was originally, but its safe to say its Edwardian linen embroidery transformed into a contemporary vest/cape.

9. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Thank you everyone, this was all very helpful!