1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Burberry Coat real?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cathy Hutchins, May 22, 2016.

1. Cathy Hutchins

Cathy Hutchins Registered Guest

I purchased this coat on ebay as a vintage Burberry trench. It is actually not a trench but a single breasted rain coat which I knew before I bought it. It feels amazing. The quality of the fabric inside and out and all the stitching is exquisite. It has an order number tag in the left pocket and all the tags that say Burberry have the slightly turned up Rs and seem to follow other authentic tag identification details I can find online. The coat was supposedly bought at an estate sale of a wealthy lady in London. It has been resold at least a couple of times on ebay and is now mine. I didn't pay much- less $100 including shipping.
    Here are the problems:
    -the buttons do not have the Burberry logo or name on them as all new coats do. Has there been a time since 1998 when all buttons did not have the company name on them? If authentic, the coat had to have been made after 1998 when the name changed from Burberrys to Burberry.
    -the plaid under the collar and on one of the sleeves does not match up perfectly at the seams which is always stated as the first red flag on anything you read about telling if it is authentic. ( Does the plaid REALLY always match up PERFECTLY?)
    I called Burberry headquarters and they do not give much information over the phone. The lady would only answer questions about more current Burberry products and said they do not authenticate unless you have original purchase receipts. (uhhh and why would you need them if you had all that??)
    I went to Nordstrom in Nashville and looked at some current items and the buttons do all say Burberry and the plaid's do line up.
    I went to the Burberry Boutique in Green Hills Mall Nashville and saw the same thing.
    I called the outlet store in Orlando and they told me the same thing.
    It is the policy at both Nordstom and The Burberry boutique NOT to examine garments and give opinions. They will only say all buttons have logos and all plaid lines up. No one would/could answer questions about vintage items.
    Can anyone help me figure out if this real based on these details. Obviously, you can't feel the weight and I am not sure pictures will do the quality of the fabric and stitching justice. It is a very nice nice coat. I would love to know if it is also genuine Burberry.Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
    IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1080.JPG

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi the VFG does not authenticate garments either as per the forum rules, but it sounds as though you have your answer from Burberry already re the buttons and pattern matching. For the price of a new Burberry coat I don't think matching a big bold plaid pattern like that is too much to ask.

FYI: The new series of The British Sewing Bee deals with pattern matching in the very first episode (called 'the basics week') and is worth a watch.

3. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

If you look closely at the stitching in the last two photographs, it's very poorly done, especially in the next to last pic.

Pinkcoke likes this.