1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Burberrys coat real?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lauraw, Dec 22, 2020.

1. lauraw

lauraw Registered Guest

Hi all,

I recently bought a Burberrys coat online, and I am struggling to come to a conclusion on whether it is a genuine coat! I know it's an old coat so verification may have changed but compared to a newer one I have, it does strike me as having a cheaper feeling. Any help would be appreciated.

There are a few features which run in its favour, the smaller buttons on it do say 'Burrberrys' on, and the zip also does.

However, the lining does not match up, the inner drawstring toggles seem fairly cheap - you can actually take these off yourself which doesn't seem right to me. There's also a random zip running throughout it which seems poorly finished (may be for a possible missing liner though). The larger buttons are plain too, and the actual Nova lining has an interesting feel and is a shiny/synthetical material. There's no white label inside the pocket with the sizing either but there is some kind of label on the inner lining.

I've attached all photos of what I deem relevant to receive some support.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance :)
    Laura

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Maybe also add a photo of the coat itself? It'll help in dating this coat. But, you should know, we here don't authenticate items, just help with dating and providing tools to research further.

3. Hi lauraw and welcome to the forums. As Cin mentioned, we can't authenticate here - best to take it to an expert so they can hold it in their hand and determine the correct elements. Photos can't give you all the information you need.

You might like to check out the VFG Label Resource entry for Burberry's: you say it's an old coat but from the labels I estimate no earlier than '90s. As Cin says, seeing the whole coat so style and silhouette can be determined would be helpful although Burberry's coats are often classic styles that don't change rapidly with the years.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. lauraw

lauraw Registered Guest

Hi Cin!

Thanks for your reply, totally understand I can't get full authentication, I just wanted to see if I was right in doubting/get some further opinion.

Please see full length photo of coat below:

[​IMG]

Thanks again :)

5. lauraw

lauraw Registered Guest

Thanks for your reply also! And for the warm welcome to the platform : )

I shall check out that resource so thanks for pointing me out in its direction. I've replied to Cin with a photo of the coat in full, which may help to determine further detail

I appreciate your help!
    Laura

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hmm... I would contact Burberry's and ask maybe for their help in authenticating. We cannot, as you understand. I would like to offer my opinion though, if that's ok, not an appraisal of any kind...

I recall seeing some Burberry coats being made/fabricated in Japan for their market in the 90s-2000s. So I'm not sure it's super duper old if not fairly contemporary. The label has been attributed to 80s Burberry, I think, so maybe this is late 80s to early 90s. Seeing Burberrys stamped on the zipper pull gives me pause... it could be a dating tool but it could also be a red flag. I'm not sure which. I read somewhere that there were labels Burberry or Burberrys around the 80s to 90s but don't recall zipper pulls then having a shape like that. But that mis-matched plaid lining troubles me. A Burberry item would get this right.

I'm thinking aloud and really hope this helps. It's a little bit of a mystery.