1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this corset antique?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by veni creator, Jun 5, 2023.

1. veni creator

veni creator Registered Guest

Hi! I recently saw this corset online, the description said it was vintage. Is it just me or is it an antique corset? I'd like to buy it, but I'm afraid I'll be mistaken and it's not really that old.

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It is the bodice of a traditional dress ("tracht") from Switzerland, from the Canton Berne. Google images for "Berner Sonntagstracht" - this was meant to be worn on Sundays, holidays and the like. The jewelry would traditionally have been silver, but can also be only silver-plated. How old it is would be hard to say and looking at it when you have it in hand may give some clues, but even a modern one would, I guess, involve a lot of hand-sewing. I have my grandmother's that was made by a seamstress in the 1930s. Modern bodices can have velvets with different flower patterns from what I see in online auctions, yours at least looks like exactly the same as mine.

Here is one example, but you'll find lots more images online:
    th-294965826.jpg

3. veni creator

veni creator Registered Guest

Thank you!

4. Midge

What I should also say... these are made to fit the wearer, they're not like underwear corsets that can be laced tighter or not, so if you decide to buy this for yourself, it would need to fit you. They close with hooks and eyes at the front and the lacing is really just decorative. My mother was lucky enough to be able to wear my grandmother's, but I am differently built - taller and with a smaller bust - so it doesn't fit me at all. Still, I'm holding on to it because it's a beautiful piece of work.

5. Karin's right; it's a decorative bespoke piece, not a corset in the usual sense. There are no bones and so it will not shape the figure.

I can't discern the age from the photos but from construction, it does not particularly old. The term 'vintage' can of course be interpretted to mean many different things.

denisebrain likes this.
  6. Midge

Just a small comment :) - I am not sure about the piece in question (it's hard to see if there is seaming or not on the light lining fabric) or what they are like today - there may be differences, but my grandmother's bodice is definitely boned - all the way around, so that is probably the way at least how they used to be constructed. It is made to fit, yes, but also boned, so will shape the body a bit even if you can't lace it tighter.