1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this hat rare ?? And what would its value be ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Reiss Thomson, Feb 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Reiss Thomson

Reiss Thomson Registered Guest

I bought this hat yeas ago because I was told it was made for someone at Buckingham Palace. It doesn’t fit so now I want to either sell it or swap it for two new hats Iv saw in a vintage shop but I want to know the around figure it’s worth. It’s says made in England under license but I understand the company was from USA ?

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

That's a nice looking hat. I am not seeing anything about it that would indicate it is rare.

"Johnny" is printed on the hatband, but I cannot read what is printed underneath. That may be the name of the hat shop where the hat was purchased. Not sure.

It is the policy of the VFG to not give values on items on the Forums. That said, the head size of the hat is a man's small (looks like it says 6 3/4?), which can affect the value. Larger size hats generally fetch higher prices, of course depending on the hat. But anything smaller than a size 7 can be a hard sell.

3. Reiss Thomson

it says Johnny vaxio ?

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The word under Johnny (or Johnnys?) is Vaxjo—with umlauts over the A and O. My half-Swedish husband said that is a parish/town in the county of Kronoberg, near the county from which his ancestors came (edited from the original post)...and when he is done with what he is doing now he will see if he can find anything more about Johnny/Johnnys.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  5. Reiss Thomson

Thanks a million

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

My husband was not able to find any helpful information about Johnnys, so he posted a question about it on a Swedish genealogical site and someone sent this photo. Unfortunately they sent no additional information at all, so he thanked them and asked if they had any dates for the store. If he gets a reply we will, of course, pass that along, too.

It looks like it was a men's clothing store.

JohnnysInSweden.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I love that photo. Great sleuthing from you and your husband!

8. Lynne......you just never seem to amaze me when it comes to researching! You are the BOMB!

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  9. Reiss Thomson

Incredible cheers it in Sweden and the hat says says made in England under just strikes me weird. Thanks x

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Well, it seems the store owner must have imported men's clothing from other countries, to sell in Johnny's.

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The man who submitted the Johnnys photo, in response to my husband's question about it just replied with a little more information: "Johnnys were in business until like 1966 but in another shop. I bought trousers there when I was 20."

nikonian likes this.