1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Icelandic poncho from the 1960s or 1970s or is it just a traditional timeless?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Feb 13, 2014.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone again,
    Not sure how to approach this as it strikes me as 70s but wondering if it's just something that keeps getting made?
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Lauren,

Is that you in the photo, as a snow angel? The poncho looks early 1970s or even late 1960s to me. The type and style of the fringe, the shorter length, the O ring zipper pull, and the larger "open" look of the knit remind me of the ones I saw worn back around that time.

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Barbara....no it's my daughter the snow angel....well a bit of a reluctant one yesterday considering the cold windy weather.

4. I agree with Barbara - I associate those ring pulls with the late '60s to early '70s and the labelling looks '70s so I would put this one into the early '70s.

Snow! How wonderful for you - we've been having heatwaves in Australia and I get excited about a little breeze so the idea of snow just makes me want to roll around and get really cold.

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Nicole, my sister lived in Perth for a while, I think they called the evening breeze "The Doctor"...wishing you some relief.

6. You're quite right Lauren - the Fremantle Doctor is a such a welcome thing in Perth. Unfortunately, it tends to peter out the further away from Freo you are - and here in Melbourne (on the other side of the country) we can only fantasize about such luxuries. Still, Perth needs cooling down more than most Aus cities. I lived there for twenty years but eventually the heat got to me and I moved somewhere cooler. This summer has me questioning whether any Australian city is cool enough for me!

7. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Summer, sigh...........

Lovely daughter and poncho Lauren, those are such good sellers!

Hi Nicole. :hiya:

8. Hi Rita!

:drinkingtoast: I toast you with my iced water.

9. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Wow, so hard to imagine being too hot right now....my feet feel like they haven't thawed in the last few months.
    Thanks Rita, The ponchos seem to sell like hotcakes...what's with that?

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Not just the poncho Lauren, anything made of Icelandic wool is hot, hot, hot especially with Europeans I find.

Well that's no fun but cheers anyway Nicole! :drinkingtoast:

11. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Nicole- I don't think anywhere will be cool enough now in Australia again- forget about coming up here towards the tropics, its SO hot here today!.

12. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I agree with the dating info provided above. The low standing collar was popular during the late 60s as was this color theme, the fringe, and ponchos in general were popular into the 70s. Here's a poncho pattern cover from the 60s;

poncho60s.jpg

and here is a link to your poncho's twin;
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-VTG-Iceland-Sheepa-Icelandic-Art-Wool-Sweater-Poncho-Cape-Size-M-70s-/111259373969?nma=true&si=73pKaK0XMqgrGeRziznzU4x3C%252Bk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

13. Cute photos....I would say early 1970s, too!