1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Letterman Jacket 1980s or older like 1950s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kimberly Vigili, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Kimberly Vigili

Kimberly Vigili Registered Guest

Hi all!

This letterman is throwing me for a loop. So it has an 80 which I assumed is the year he lettered. But then looking at the label and make up of the jacket leads me to believe that it might be older and that the 8o might be PETES (the owners names) personal number. Is their someone here that knows a little bit about vtg lettermans. I lettered in high school and I put my number on front and the years I letter on my sleeve but that was in the 90s so not sure the protocol of lettering in decades previous. Any thoughts. Thanks

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Labels look earlier than 80s and there's no woolmark symbol (required from 1964 onwards). My guess is the "80" was the number on his team sport jersey.

At our high school, we only had the two-digit number of our graduation year put on our jacket, not every year we lettered.

5. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

I was in high school in the 80s and this jacket looks older to me. The patches look older and so do the sleeves.

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I'll go with 1960s. Great jacket!