1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Woolrich sweater that's "Made in Japan" vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by piperlori, Oct 31, 2014.

1. piperlori

piperlori Registered Guest

I don't think this is vintage (no little lamb on brand label); on the other hand, when were Woolrich sweaters, etc., ever made in Japan? I thought it was strictly USA (vintage) or China (not vintage).

Help on this would be most appreciated. (It would be helpful if VFG included Woolrich in their brand ID glossary.)

Thanks! woolrich 1.JPG woolrich 2.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Piper,
    The country of manufacture defining vintage or not vintage isn't quite that straightforward. It's true it can be used to help date an item, going on which decade(s) it was popular to have garments manufactured in that country.
    I don't know this brand, because I'm in the UK, but the label and jumper style looks like something I'd expect to find made by a company not at the height of fashion in the 90's. Others more familiar with everyday clothing of these eras may be able to help date it further.
    The VFG Label Resource relies on submissions of dated examples of labels and some sort of accompanying information on the company in order to begin a entry. If we do not have an entry for a particular brand it is either because we have not yet received any labels for them or do not have enough information to make an accompanying bio.

3. piperlori

Thank you for your input. Actually vintage Woolrich sweaters are fairly desirable here in the US...especially ones with the Union label, of course.
    That's why I was wondering if this was vintage, though I agree that if it is, it's not earlier than the 90's.

Appreciate the input on the label submission. I've sold a lot of vintage on eBay and Etsy, including some pretty cool stuff, so it's good to know that I can submit labels that might be helpful to others. This site has been very helpful to me in the past so I plan to join soon!

-piper

cmpollack likes this.
  4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Hmmm... That has a Canadian registration number, as well as the US-issued WPL number. Maybe one of our Canadian members knows something about a Woolrich presence in Canada?

That label placement (at the neck vs a side seam) often suggests 90s or earlier to me, at least with clothing from US companies...

5. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

That Canadian reg.# = Woolcan Inc. = Canadian Woolrich distributor. Woolrich does manufacture items worldwide.

6. piperlori

Very helpful...thank you so much. :) (Would have responded earlier but didn't get a notice of last two follow-up posts.)

cotmyey likes this.
  7. Alison_86

Alison_86 Registered Guest

Looks very modern to me, I'm saying 90s :)

8. piperlori

I think you may be right. Thanks. :)

9. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Since we are on the Woolrich topic, I have a sweater that is handframed in Hong Kong. I guess it is from 90s?

Attached Files:

10. Alison_86

Alison_86 Registered Guest

yes that looks 90s too, especially being made in hong kong

Jenny likes this.