1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issey Miyake Knit Cardigan

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 7ofCups, Jun 2, 2017.

1. 7ofCups

7ofCups Registered Guest

Came across this knit cardigan / vest by Issey Miyake a few weeks ago. Going by the label resource, it appears to be from the 1970's. In all of my research on the designer, I haven't come across any remotely similar clothing items by IM. Did he even design everyday garments like this? He is known for his avant-garde, East meets West designs, and use of non-traditional fibers in his designs...but an ombre knit cardigan / vest?? I am so perplexed. (Photos are attached. I have since cleaned / restored the piece so the fabric and thread / yarn lays just right!)
    So, has anyone seen items like this designed by IM before? Do you agree it is from the 70's? And while his vintage gowns and avant-garde designs carry a hefty price tag, what would be a reasonable asking price for this item, in your opinion?
    Many thanks! Any input appreciated! IMG_20170512_185229.jpg IMG_20170512_185229.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Actually, this is early to mid 1980s. I remember this!

INVINTAGEV likes this.
  3. 7ofCups

7ofCups Registered Guest

Wow, really? You've seen this before? How funny! Going by the VFG label resource, I thought it was from 70's! I guess they continued that label / tag for longer than it appears. Thanks so much for your input! I am tempted to keep this...it's so unique and well-made! Any idea of the current going price for this type of item by IM? It's just a bit big on me, so that might be the decided factor lol!

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I lived in the 1980s so I saw a lot. ; ) Plus, was a knitting/sweater stitch and design that was super popular then, around 1983-5 or so.

We don't really give appraisals here but the info so one can research in the various places like Ebay, Etsy, etc.

Oh, this was meant to be big, typical of the era. Oversized 80s.

7ofCups likes this.