1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ivory Silk Peignoir Trousseau? Edwardian/1930's? 3 piece set?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Apr 7, 2021.

  1. GemGem

    GemGem Registered Guest

    Hi all, I bought these three pieces together but not sure they date match and a couple look like they have been altered.

    There is the gown which has three rows of three buttons to the top front, it is lace edged and has hand sewn hems and seams, I think the majority of the garment may be hand sewn except there a few very straight rows of stitching which I presume were done by machine. It has a very fine silk crepe top layer and a very fine silk chiffon inner layer. The sleeves are short and have four layers which between them have the most beautiful delicate silk. The back neck of the garment has been folded over to create a central pleat to back and sewn.

    Then the night dress which is 43" inches long, I am tempted to think this is the original length as the hand sewn hem matches the other seams. It is a fine brocade ivory silk. The shoulder have some kind of stretch lace, I am tempted to think this is a later edition perhaps because the straps/shoulders were damaged. There is a small side opening in the dress and two ties to tie to the back of the dress.

    The last item is the ivory silk bed trousers. These have definitely has some alterations. There has been elastic added to the inside of the waist, it looks like twice. It also appears as though some white cotton has been added, perhaps to replace some damaged part of the silk.

    My questions are

    Are they dated in the same time period?

    What era's do you think they are from?

    Is it likely a wedding Trousseau?

    Any other info gratefully received...

    Many thanks for looking!



    IMG_9594.JPG IMG_9595.JPG

    Night dress






  2. GemGem

    GemGem Registered Guest

    I'm also curious to know about the particular type of hemming technique used at the hem of the dress. It seems to be vertical several overlaps of hand stitched mid weight thread and then a spacing and then the vertical overlaps on a single stitch again again, it leaves a scallop type edge I think (unless this is just what happens with it over time)

    I have not seen it before and wondered if it has a specific name? Does it help with dating?
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

    Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

    That is beautiful. I see why you are stumped a little on the dating. I might guess early 1930s, but am not really sure. The hem stitch looks like a type shell stitch. Very fancy!
    GemGem likes this.
  4. GemGem

    GemGem Registered Guest

    Thank you Barbara! i looked up the stitching and it is exactly right (i think :)) the only reference I can find to dating these types of stitches is that they were often used on vintage/antique garments, but it is very good to have a name for them for future research and to deposit from here into my bank of knowledge, haha.

    I'm wondering if I should post more close ups of the gown as there is something about it that doesn't' seem to fit, it is different fabrics for a start but the styling seems different too, more romantic and floaty, if anything it looks older than the dress and trousers. I think it has some tissue silk in places and the whole gown appears to be almost entirely hand sewn.

Share This Page