1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Izod wool sweater- dating and label help needed

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by thedecorouscat, Oct 5, 2021.

1. thedecorouscat

thedecorouscat Registered Guest

Hi everyone. I thought I was safe putting this sweater in the late 60s, maybe early 70s based on the Izod label and the orlon acrylic label. But then I came across the care label with the detailed washing instructions, that seem to completely oppose the “dry clean” orlon label. It’s making me wonder if it’s a later date than I thought?

Any thoughts on what’s going on with the two care labels and is my dating correct?

thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gosh, that really looks like my old school uniform jumper, would have been 1980s. I'm not sure if it is older but the shape, fabric, neckline, even colour (royal blue).

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

IZOD is well documented and going by the label, can't be earlier then 1998, nice jumper, typical V neck product from IZOD.

4. thedecorouscat

Can I ask what makes you say this label was only around post ‘98? Every example I’ve seen (including the VFG’s own labeling resources) place this label in the 60s.

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

My understanding is the label crest wasn't introduced until sometime in the mid-late 90s.

That to one side, from your photos, the jumper does not come across as a 60s or early 70s IZOD V neck, they are famous for but later.

Unlike Gem-Gem, Izod and Lacoste were part of my children's school uniform, ( late 70s into 90s ), the boy's blue jumpers and the girl's red top sportswear.

I do remember their Mum or I continually repairing the girls wear which I thought was poorly made.

6. thedecorouscat

Yeah they seem to have made this exact style of sweater for many years. You can find it with just about every iteration of Izod or Lacoste tag on it ( usually either the little alligator emblem sewn on). It’s what’s making specific dating troublesome.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I think it's always hard to date classic items such as this. I have no knowledge re. IZOD, just my observations... The dry-clean only tag looks older - I'd put that in the 60s or 70s, just my gut feeling. The other, more detailed care tag looks to me as if it could be newer - could easily be 80s or even 90s. The mention of tumble drying is another clue I think? In Europe, from what I know, the symbol for that was only introduced in the mid-80s, just as an indication. From when on did having a tumble-dryer really become a thing, so that manufacturers would mention that on their care instructions? I'm a kid of the 80s, and we had one when I was small, but that's just my personal recollection.

GemGem likes this.
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Interesting care instructions. I do remember having to take certain synthetics, including my school uniform, out of the dryer sharpish once it finished otherwise those ridiculously hard to remove creases would set in.

I think the care label indicates post 1972 as that is when the Federal Trade commission regulation, titled 'care labelling of textile wearing apparel' law came into effect. Requiring washing instructions and identifying fibre content. I don't even think the label is early 70s though but it may be my school uniform bias :)