1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stephanie4989

stephanie4989 Registered Guest

Is anyone familiar with this tag. Wondering if it’s a vintage kimono. Any help would be Appreciated

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. It would be best to provide photos of the garment itself, too. Is there any other writing on the labels (ie: care instructions, etc) or any other labels present?

That said, the style of the label (which I don't recognize, sorry!) and the metallic gold embellished cotton? fabric looks quite 1990s to me but wait for other opinions!

3. stephanie4989

Thank you! I added some more photos.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I am no expert, but I would rater call it a kimono-style robe, probably made for export with that label. The "keep away from fire" lets me assume that there is some synthetic (= flammable) content in the fabric.

5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Yes, I would call that a robe and not a Kimono.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think there is some requirement to have that statement on nightwear, I don't think it's to do with fabric content. I will try and find out.

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes it's because it counts as nightwear, which has to meet special requirements regarding flammability, and have this label . It applies to all fabric contents, not only synthetics. This may be a UK thing?

From this website https://www.gblabels.co.uk/guide-to-care-labels/

The current act is from 1985, but came into force in 1987. So this garment is unlikely to be earlier than 1987, and Donna may well be right with 1990s

There were previous labelling requirements regarding flammability from 1967 but those only applied to nightdresses specifically, rather than all nightwear. The required wording was slightly different, and without the need for it to be in red.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  9. stephanie4989

Thank you for your help!

Retro Ruth likes this.