1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JC Penny A Nationwide Institution Tag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by amber parsons, Oct 5, 2017.

1. amber parsons

amber parsons Registered Guest

Any idea of dating on this tag? It's most similar to a 1920's bathing suite tag. Not other tags in the outfit. I believe it might be 20's also???

Attached Files:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

3. amber parsons

The material is much lighter weight than traditional denim today. Maybe I could private message one of them to see if they have an idea? I haven't had any luck with responses! Thanks

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Amber, I've been staring at that label and looking online, and am seeing similarities with some 30's labels that are out there. This is a guess and am going by the stylized serif font, which appears all in caps. Here is a page with some old J.C. Penney ads (just copy and paste the link onto a new window)...

Code:
    http://fortune.com/2014/12/22/jcpenney-private-brands/

5. amber parsons

I found this ad from 1927 and the clothing looks similar. I think it is a mix between the two lower left hand styles. One with pointed collar and one without buttons on the front to remove the bottoms. The ones I have are a little bit different as the collar is pointed and there are no buttons in the front to remove the bottoms but only in the back for diapering. . The pointed collar wasn't as popular as the rounded one in other ads I have seen during this time. The buttons are metal and were painted blue at one time as you can see remnants of this. So now onto my big question.....Would you put your son in these knowing that might reduce the value or would someone appreciate these? There doesn't seem to be a market for them really. The fact there are no snaps around the legs is kind of a pain but they really are a cute style with a great story! But I hate to ruin them if they would be appreciated somewhere. I paid .99 each for these so the money is really not the object!

Attached Files:

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

There is a market for these. I sell things similar to the movies and tv shows all the time. These details add authenticity to a period piece and are sought after.

I also thought 1930s originally but that ad is pretty convincing. : )