1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jean Muir 1970s Shoulder pads?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Nov 29, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello lovely people of the VFG!

I have a question regarding Jean Muir jersey dresses. I acquired a rather tasty lot of Jean Muir clothing. Some of these are early 80s pieces but I have three viscose jersey dresses that I think are earlier.

I understand she made the viscose jersey dresses mostly in the 70s and there is some evidence to suggest that she was using shoulder pads... possibly to emanate the 40's. I'm just a little confused because as as far as I know it was quite rare for people to use shoulder padding in the 70s.

Things that would suggest so, include patterns dated as early 70's clearly showing shoulder pads and including them in the instructions. Many online sellers having these dresses dated as 70s (I understand there can be trends of errors). The shoulder pads of the ones I have is not foam on the ones I believe to be 70's. (I have some (certainly) 80s pieces with the foam padding).

The vogue dress pattern shown is dated as 1973 and it has shoulder pads.

IMG_5515.JPG IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5824.JPG Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 08.21.38.png Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 08.21.19.png

I am now wondering if I have accurately dated them as circa late 70's. Could they be early 70's?