1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

I found this little bit of info in an article called "Life Begins at 30" in a 1966 issue of London Life magazine and thought some of you might find it interesting/useful.

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

Jean Muir: Aged 32, Jean Muir is tiny, dynamic, with enormous eyes and smile. In the midst of the Courreges/Ungaro trend which has swept and almost monopolised the country, she has continually and successfully kept a "prettiness" trend going. Whenever journalists needed an illustration for prettier, wearable, simply feminine clothes to back their forcasts for "The My Fair Lady Look" or "The Viva Maria Look" they used her designs.

She started the firm Jane and Jane four years ago, having worked in Liberty's, where she learned her love of extravagant fabric, and in Jaegar's, where she learned a basic simplicity of design. She aims to design for the woman between 20 and 40, and says that she prefers the words gentle and even ladylike to pretty, which may have been used too much. She has a considerable following in America, and - most recnetly - in Australia.

"Chic" is a word she often uses. "I like to feel that my clothes will look good anywhere, not to be limited to just one country. Chic is international." She has had to fight the rigid division in the trade between "dressmaking" and "tailoring." A lot of her designs for suits and coats have been greeted with a supercilious, "Oh, but that's dressmaking." She says: "There are so many people who won't change. It's got to be done, but it takes time."

2. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Thanks Senti! I LOVE Jean Muir - but I only have one of her items in my collection and it is a pretty damned boring dress to be honest! :(

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

having worked at Liberty's...does the article mean Liberty's the dept store or Liberty of London the textiles?

Margaret, is your dress typical of her looks or was it a more subdued style for her? Or just one of those "you can dress it up or down" situations?

Chris

4. Thanks for sharing, Senti!

Margaret, show us a pic of your dress.

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Chris, it's my understanding that the textiles were made for the department store - that they are actually the same company. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.:bouncy: