1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jewelry experts - pyramid stud bracelet - art deco or later?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debutanteclothing, Apr 5, 2011.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

I was feeling pretty confident that this bracelet I picked up today was art deco/machine age era due to the clasp and the quality of the metal. But now I am second guessing myself. Jewelry experts? What say you?

[​IMG]

2. debutanteclothing

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Sandra -

Please show a picture of the construction - from the back. While this could be Art Deco it could also be Modernist C. 1950's.

What is the metal? Any markings?

4. debutanteclothing

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks right to me to be a deco piece...but I'm sure Linn will come in about it.

6. Linn

I cannot tell from the pictures if it's Period Art Deco - C. 1930's or Mid-Century Modern - C. 1950's. The clasp looks more '50's to me. It's really hard to tell from your photos - one looks "blue" on my monitor and the other has a brownish cast.

Do you have any idea what the metal is?

7. debutanteclothing

Hi Linn,
    Sorry I took the photos with my cell phone so the quality isn't the best. I can try later with my DSLR. I have no idea what kind of metal it is. it's not silver, that I know. Maybe pewter?

8. Linn

Sandra -

It is probably chrome - and would or could be chrome whether it's '30's or '50's! Please take a picture of it spread out flat front and back showing the whole clasp not just the top part. It still might be hard to decide when it's from but that might help. I'll look through some books once I've seen your new photos. I looked at a few of my bracelets and I don't have anything quite like this. It's a super bracelet whenever it was made.

9. debutanteclothing

10. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

That would be chrome on steel right Linn? I'll bet it's 30s. Not sure why but I'm not getting a 40s or 50s vibe. 'course vibes are not a reliable research technique so lets see what the others have to say.

Melody

11. debutanteclothing

Well I trust your vibe more than mine on this one Melody. I got a 1930s vibe as well. Just the color of the metal, but what threw me off was the size of the bracelet. It's pretty large for a larger wrist.

12. joules

joules VFG Member

13. Linn

I am not at all sure about dating it which is why I didn't post again yesterday. I cannot get a sense of the metal or the color of the metal from the pictures. I said chrome before I saw the latest photos which look like it has a golden brown tinge. In the first photo it looks blueish and shiny and in the others it looks dull. I have some '50's (and some '30's) bracelets that are nickel plated and are a more dull finish.

You said that it's large - what are the dimensions?

I am getting more of a '50's feeling about it but really don't know. I cannot find any examples of that clasp on earlier bracelets. Could you take a photo of it in natural light?

Thanks.

14. debutanteclothing

Joules - yes, I'm keeping it!!

Linn - that was natural light with the WB set on cloudy because it was cloudy and I was in doors. Let me try to get a cu of just the metal. Thanks for your patience and expert advice.

15. debutanteclothing

I can say that the color of the metal is dull and not shiny at all.

16. Linn

Sandra -

As long as you are taking a picture of the bracelet please get a shot of the entire piece - not just the metal and show it next to something like a quarter so we can get a sense of the scale. Also, please show the clasp in the position that you showed it in the first photo - with the etched or lined portion facing up.

TX.

17. joules

joules VFG Member

This bracelet is right up my alley... Fabulous bracelet, and you will be uber cool wearing it. Probably on camera too! :)

Like Linn, I'm torn, 30s or 50s? I have a bracelet that reminds me of this one, and I am sure Linn knows which one it is. I had mine chromed a long time ago, so who knows anymore, but we reckoned it was 50s.

18. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Thanks for posting the additional pictures, Sandra, especially of the back!

I think its 50s. The wide foldover clasp and links are quite similar to those in another bracelet discussed here recently.

Although the bracelets are very different in style (I agree with Linn that this one seems to be Modernist), those findings say 50s to me!

19. joules

joules VFG Member

Here is mine. I always post this, but it is one of my favorite things I ever found, when I first started shopping as a teenager:
    [​IMG]

I love our jewelry experts round here!

20. Linn

Thanks for weighing in on this, Carrie. I really do get a '50's Modernist feeling from Sandra's bracelet and am glad you remembered the other thread.

This one is not similar except perhaps in scale. The clasp is not lined and it's chrome, but I'm quite sure it's '50's:

[​IMG]