1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

Monday Greetings!
    il_570xN.483829705_ry6y.jpg il_570xN.483790610_47bk.jpg il_570xN.483829749_3vuw.jpg il_570xN.507535285_cney.jpg il_570xN.507535315_j57a.jpg I have a few more pieces I need to confirm:
    I'll put 2 in here:
    One is a necklace with glass pearls. It's short, like a choker, double strand, with cut crystal spacers, like in Victorian thru 30s jewelry. It's strung on bead chain. The connectors look like they were added later. I was thinking 20s or 30s?
    Next a Lisner bracelet. It's marked "Lisner" without the copyright. Since they were copy righted around 1955, I was thinking that because Victorian look had a resurgence in the 40s, that it's 40s.
    Many pics. Thanks in advance!

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Both pieces are C.1950's. I have seen that type of connector on '50's necklaces and think it is probably original to the piece.

Linn

3. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

Thank you Linn. =-)

4. Vlk94

Vlk94 Registered Guest

Both are so pretty. The first reminds me of Christmas!

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I agree with Linn's dating--50s on both. The Lisner is lovely!

6. Linn, you are right on the money with your dating!

7. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

May I keep going with more? I'm tempted to write an thread called "I'm BAAA-aack"...but I hesitate to go there. =-P
    OK, the net thing I want to confirm is this brooch. Top hat & cane motif. Silvertone with prong-set rhinestones. Looks like unsigned Pell. I'm thinking 40s.
    The next item is a crystal necklace. It's on the shorter side, this a sterling filigree insert clasp. The crystals are unique in that they are flattened bi-cone shapes. My first thought was Edwardian (worn with a big fancy ballgown) but then I think 30s is another possibility. Pics added. il_570xN.419332027_esa2.jpg il_570xN.304028779.jpg If no one sees this, I'll just start that other thread.

Attached Files:

8. Cute top hat pin! The cut crystal is nice, too, but I don't think it's Edwardian...possibly 1940's. I've had many of these and some are even strung on fine metal chain. They have maintained their popularity. In the 1950's and '60's it became popular to do these crystal pieces with AB coating for more sparkle.

9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What Bonnie said!

10. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

I forgot to mention that the crystals are strung on string. These crystals are not Aurora, they are clear.

11. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

I think I have my answer on the beads. I am so used to looking online for info that I forget all the books I have! The photo is not good because it was small but check this photo. It's from "100 Years of Collectible Jewelry", page 96. It's referenced as 005.JPG "Cut crystals, rondell type (I called them flat bi-cones!), colorless quartz, Bohemian, 1925. Seeing if anyone agrees:

12. The crystals just don't have that 1920's look to me, but of course, I love to see, feel and smell jewelry to make the best observations!

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The reason they may be calling that example 1920s for the necklace would be due to the actual length of the item.
    I would agree more with the 40s or early 50s on your necklace.

The top hat pin is difficult as I know these were also popular in the 70s but yours may well be an older version.

14. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

I thought might be 017.JPG helpful.

15. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Also, you have to remember that some jewelry guides don't always have the correct information contained in them. Some are extremely useful and others have errors in dating.

Most of the ones shown here look much more like the 30s to me rather than the 20s and they are not choker length like the one you have.

16. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I'm glad someone said it first. I debated mentioning this and am glad that MJ has. Sunny, that is a lovely book, but about half of what's in that particular title is inaccurate. It was published long ago, and although it has been revised, there is so much more known now.

There is such a plethora of factors when it comes to dating jewelry, as with all things.

17. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't own "100 Years of Collectible Jewelry" but I have a lots and lots of other jewelry reference books that cover both fine and costume jewelry. Many of the costume jewelry books, particularly the older ones and even the absolute "holy grail" Brunalti books contain a few mistakes and even an example that is a fake. Sometimes the information is corrected when the book is revised and sometimes the error stands. Many books have items that are incorrectly dated and incorrectly identified.

As Laura said:

There were short crystal necklaces in the late 1920's but you see them more in the 1930's. I don't think Sunny's crystal choker is that old but I would have to see, feel and "smell" it as Bonnie suggests. I think it is more likely from the early 1950's mostly because of the size of the cyrstals and the fineness of the sterling clasp. Sunny, do you have a way to measure the crystal beads? They look large on your dressform's neck. I think the top hat is newer - much newer than '40's and maybe newer than '70's.

Linn

18. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

The beads are graduated. Most are 8mm wide, the biggest is more like 10-12mm in height. It really does look like it was re-strung (on string). The second book page photo is from a book called "All That Glitters".

19. Linn, I couldn't agree with you more and value your opinion highly when it comes to jewelry! By, the way, did you get to Rhode Island last month for the convention? I had really hoped to go, but just couldn't make it work out. I haven't been since everything changed to CJCI, but have heard many good things!

20. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

I love the "smell" thing. I have a good nose. (It was tested once!) I need to learn more about that.
    Linn, I really need to be educated as to why you feel the top hat brooch is possibly newer than 70s. I know you would need to see it, but the chatons are all prong-set and some are very mildly faded. Wasn't this motif was popular in the 40s & 50s?: Night Life, tap dancing, cabarets, (and I hate to mention it but) Minstrel shows? Maybe there is something about the back of it that had a detail you identified as a clue to it being newer. That's what I need to learn about. :)