1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Of California Help With Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by steve w, Jul 3, 2020.

1. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Hi Does anyone know this label - Belongs to this cotton romper and I am assuming 60's - 70's but any help with the brand - shop - designer - would be great ,,, Thank you ..

Attached Files:

denisebrain likes this.
  2. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Hi Steve,
    Cute garment. Looks mid-1960s to me.
    California was the hub of the sportswear industry from roughly the 1950s-1970s, and many brands tacked on "California" or "of California" as a means of capitalizing on the association with its coveted lifestyle. Some brands had longevity, others did not last and are difficult to research.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    denisebrain likes this.
  3. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank you ! Yes I get what you are saying, so appreciate the answer ..

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It's a manufacturer not designer and, as mentioned already, early-mid 1960s. This was the kind of thing you wore to your pool parties. ; )

steve w likes this.
  5. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Great thank you ! And Romper is the correct term ? It does have legs ...

6. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

You could call it a romper, but because it's long sleeved, I'd probably call it a playsuit.

steve w likes this.
  7. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank You.

8. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

Through an online search I found mention of "John of California" apparel in magazines and newspapers from 1959, early to mid-1960s, and 1976. Marsha and Cin's assessments were spot-on according to these magazine and newspaper articles.
    Take a look at:
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/26024062/ (Click on "Show page 14 article text)

steve w likes this.
  9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I searched for any information about your label and didn't find as much as I would have liked, but I found:

-- Several 1962 articles about his apparel referred to his six years old firm
    -- The earliest ad I found for his apparel was from 1958
    -- The latest mention of the company I found was from 1978
    -- "John of California was a blouse maker whose success led to a coordinated line of sportswear"
    -- The business really was in California
    -- The "signature of John of California is his use of unusual upholstery or drapery fabrics"
    -- The company's sportswear was carried by I. Magnin & Co
    -- A 1970 ad invited people to meet some of California's designers and among them was "Ceci, Marvin--John of California)
    -- Another John of California designer I saw mentioned in a later ad (but which I forgot to capture in a screen print) was a female with a Love surname
    -- One blurb described the clothes as "the simple, well-bred look of John of California classics"
    -- A 1962 article described the John of California garment hems you could let up or down without sewing

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  10. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

WOW ! Thank you ! fascinating - well to me at least !

11. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank you ~! I need to sign up for this full time I think as its so useful !

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

In case it helps--and so I can throw away this little scrap of paper--I found the name of the other identified designer for John of California:

"Clara F. Love, designer and design coordinator for John of California, is the new instructor of UCLA's Extension's course in 'Fashion Design'..." (1973)

steve w and denisebrain like this.