1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joseph Ribkoff ILCWD timeline?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vivian Leung, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Vivian Leung

Vivian Leung Registered Guest

Hi,

Is there a timeline somewhere of Canadian ILCWD labels that I can refer to? I have found one online for the American versions but they're different from the Canadian ones.

I have this gorgeous Joseph Ribkoff dress I'm trying to date, here are the labels from it. Looking up the style number doesn't get me too far. Does anyone know when this ILCWD is from?

Thank you so much!

Vivian
    IMG_5002.JPG IMG_5003.JPG IMG_5087.jpg

2. It’s ILGWU and it stands for International Ladies Garment Workers Union. If you go to our label resource and search ILGWU you will find an entry for the Canadian labels. I’d copy the link for you but I’m on my phone.

Lovely drape at the back but to narrow down a date it would also be good to see the front.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The ILGWU label on the label resource is slightly different than yours. I don't know the reason for the date spread with that label (1968 - 1984) but I suspect there was good reason to put such a specific date range. Perhaps Magsrags remembers why? The ILGWU ceased to exist in 1995 when it merged with another union creating UNITE. So the dress has to predate 1995, and according to what we have on the other label, dated after 1984.
    This is the 1968-1984 label: _thumb_vintagefashion-new_57975.jpg

History of ILGWU: https://www.workersunitedunion.ca/our_history

Jospeh Ribkoff is still in business and one of the few companies still manufacturing in Canada, although they do a lot of off-shore production as well.

It looks like the old sizing (7/8) - what does your model wear now - a 4/6?, so that would put it before 2000 when the new range was introduced.

4. Vivian Leung

Vivian Leung Registered Guest

Thank you! Oh my goodness, I completely missed that Canadian label timeline.

I added some more photos in case that helps with the dating.

Thank you again so very much.

Vivian

Attached Files:

5. I’m guessing early to mid 90s. Look forward to what others think. Certainly pre 1995 as per Jonathan’s notes.