1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judy Travels Abroad: a handwritten 1958 European tour diary

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Oct 26, 2014.

1. At a recent local estate sale, I purchased for $3 a leather "Travels Abroad" diary written during the summer of 1958 by a 20-something young American woman. (It never ceases to amaze me the items that a family will sell when a loved one passes away.) I have so enjoyed accompanying Judy B on her trip that I thought I might share the journey with you.

Judy B seems to have come from a rather wealthy family because: A) they could afford to send her on a two-month European tour, and B) she notes that she set off with $1000 in travelers checks for spending money and, throughout the trip, she ends up asking dad to send her $200 more, twice. Along the way, Judy B buys cashmere sweaters, Liberty silk scarves, crystal goblets, gold bracelets, souvenir silver charms and spoons, and various clothing items (including a bit of Christian Dior in Paris at the end of the trip). At first I wondered how she was going to carry all this in her luggage but after a while I realized that she was shipping her gifts and souvenirs home, of course. At the end of the diary is a complete list of everything she purchased, and it's price.

Judy B faithfully writes every day in her diary, noting all the gorgeous sites seen (both historical and male, lol!) and drinks a fair amount of wine and more than a few Tom Collins. She is admired and flirted with by the European men but writes, "I can see why American girls seldom marry foreign boys - plenty of charm but no money!" An observance: the home she lived in when she passed away was middle- to slightly upper-middle-class. Also, Judy B sometimes refers to "Bill" back home... apparently they were eventually married because, at the back of the diary was a postcard from 1965. It is from Judy B's parents, is addressed to Judy and Bill, and asks that they "kiss little Bill for us". How sweet!

I will try to add one or two days at a time and keep the story going for those interested (and I'll try to post at least a 2-3 times a week). Also, there are a couple little keepsakes tucked in the pages so I'll show photos of those when I get to them. I've started off here with a few photos but won't be posting photos of all the pages. I hope you find this trip as enjoyable as I did!

(Note: there are a few people with the same name so I'll include the initial of the last name, if that's the case. Otherwise, I've omitted the last names.)

Attached Files:

2. Judy notes that she started her trip with $1000 US in traveler's checks and $27.00 in "cash plus change".

Expenses in New York:
    Bus from Newark to N.Y.: $1.35
    Hotel in N.Y.: $4.62
    Tips, Porters, etc.: $1.50
    Taxi: $2.00
    Breakfast in N.Y.: $0.30

Since I posted a photo of the page from June 10, 1958, I'll start the journal here with:

Date: Wednesday, June 11, 1958
    Place: At sea
    Weather: Cloudy and cool

Took a taxi to Pier 42 and got on board the Arosa Sky (Norwegian line) at 10:00. Met room-mates.
    1) Mynie Lou (Kansas)
    2) Susan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
    3) Mary (New York)
    4) Nancy (New York)
    Meals are fine!
    Mynie and I got our deck chairs
    ($2.50). Hope we can use them tomorrow. Felt kind of sick, but Mrs P, our tour leader gave me a pill at dinner and that really helped!

Date: Thursday, June 12, 1958
    Place: The Arosa Sky
    Weather: Cloudy and foggy

Since we all slept in 'til 10:30 we missed the 7:00 breakfast! In fact we were just in time for lunch at 11:15. After lunch, Sue, Mynie, and I played the tourist by sitting in our deck chairs from 1:00 til 4:00 complete with blankets and sunglasses.
    At 4:00 we had tea and at 6:00 dinner which was very good. Wrote some post-cards and letters and at 10:30 went to see the movie, The Sheepman.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  3. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

I find journals like this fascinating! Do you know if the Willow Run airport is in Michigan?

GemGem likes this.
  4. PersonalPursuits

For centuries in the United States it was considered part of one's education and such to do the grand tour of Europe. However, I do not remember when this became passe. When I traveled to Europe and the Soviet Union by myself in the 1980's I kept a journal and to this day, I'm happy I did.

I look forward to reading Judy's travels and thank you for sharing.

GemGem, Catbooks1940s and cmpollack like this.
  5. Maxine, I'd say the Willow Run airport in Michigan is a safe bet. The diary was purchased in Mount Clemens, Michigan at the address noted on the 1965 postcard to Judy and Bill found in the back of the book.

And kudos to you for keeping a travel diary during your trip in the 80s! I spent 3 months of 1983 attending university in London and traveled throughout Great Britain frequently during that trip, mostly staying in youth hostels. What a lot of interesting people I met and sights I saw! Sadly, much of the details are memories lost since I didn't record them.

I've got a bit of time so...

Date: Friday, June 13, 1958
    Place: Arosa Sky
    Weather: Cold!

We all got up this morning for breakfast and after that I had to go see the doctor about my arm and have to go back tomorrow because it started draining again - of all the luck!
    (Note: There's no explanation of this issue.) Sat in deck chairs before going to the 2:00 movie Merry Andrew which I had already seen in Florida. The ship was really rolling around and I felt kind of sick. Meals aren't quite so appealing now. Played cards with Harry, Alan, John, Clayton, Sue, and Timmy. Had to set our watches one hour ahead.

Date: Saturday, June 14, 1958
    Weather: Still cold!

Slept in 'til 10:00 today so missed my advanced French class which I started yesterday. Went to the doctor's (he's German) and then Mynie and I went up to send radio-grams to our dads
    (Father's Day telegram: $3.50; total Doctor's bill: $2.00).
    Didn't stay long in our deck chairs - too cold! Went to the afternoon movie Saddle the Wind (another Western) and then to tea at 4:00. I don't know why but I always feel sick after tea and it lasts all evening. Played cards and went to bed early (11:00). Set watches ahead another hour. (3 hours later than at home.)

Date: Sunday, June 15, 1958
    Weather: Cold

Didn't feel too well today but got up and went to 8:00 mass in the lounge. It was all in German so I didn't understand a thing. Mynie and I took some pictures around the boat and then went to the 2:00 movie Escapade in Japan. Felt better after dinner which was roast duck. Wrote some letters (one to Bill) and played cards. Had to set watches ahead again.

Date: Monday, June 16, 1958
    Weather: Cold but sunny!

Talk about sleeping late! Slept right through breakfast and lunch and didn't wake up til 12:30! Went out on deck long enough to see that the sun was out for a change. The movie today, No Time for Sargeants, was really funny. Got some airmail stamps for my 3 letters and 4 post cards - $1.35. Dinner really tasted good and our younger German waiter was teasing me about sleeping so late. Had a group picture taken
    ($0.50) , and then Mynie, Clayton, and I took some more pictures. Set watches ahead one hour.

GemGem likes this.
  6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

What fun! Thanks for sharing.

GemGem likes this.
  7. Date: Tuesday, June 17, 1958
    Weather: Cold

Wrote a post card to Alan and mailed it. Missed breakfast again so Nancy, Mynie, and I had our steward bring us ours to our room! Clayton took a picture of Mynie and I in our deck chairs. We had to pack our suit-cases and they are taking them out at 6:00. Movie today was Teacher's Pet, and was it good. Had a farewell dinner, turkey. Set clocks ahead another hour. At dinner tonight we all had colored paper hats and flags.

Other shipboard expenses Judy has listed in the ledger from the voyage:
    Swill chocolate bar: $0.30
    Tips for waiters: $4.00
    Tips for cabin steward: $3.00
    Coke at the bar on ship: $0.10

Date: Wednesday, June 18, 1958
    Place: Arosa Sky and London
    Weather: Sunny and quite warm

Last night no one could sleep so we all got up at 2:30 am and set around on the top bunks having a chocolate party which consisted of stuffing ourselves with Sue's box of Swiss chocolates! We were up at 7:00 for breakfast and were supposed to arrive at Plymouth at 10:00, but we were two hours late. So Diedrich and Gunter, our German waiters, were surprised to see us at lunch. We turned in our landing cards on ship, and boarded another ship which took us into Plymouth (the same place the Pilgrims started from, only it took them 54 days).
    We took a train to London (took 5 hours) and were awfully impressed with the scenery. We saw the white chalk horse carved in the hillside. and everyone had high tea on the train which was a regular meal
    ($1.05).
    We had just gotten off the train and were getting our luggage when Alan came up. Was I surprised. He drove back to our hotel, The Royal, in his Morris, and waited while I checked in. We went to a coffee shop called Bungie's, which was very Bohemian, and everyone sat around wooden benches at wooden tables. After that we walked around London holding hands! Alan is really nice! Got a letter from mom. (Bed at 2:15.)

Bunjies: Located just off Charing Cross Road at 27 Litchfield Street, WC2. One of the original Folk cafes of the 50s. Bunjies (named after a hamster) has played host to Paul Simon, Bob Dylan and Al Stewart. A regular haunt too of writers, singers, comedians and cartoonists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunjies

GemGem likes this.
  8. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

What an amazing treasure, Donna! I read the first part earlier this evening, and will be back tomorrow to read the latest installments.

This is so very true. Yet this charming diary found its way into the right hands. And because of your generous sharing, we can all enjoy these wonderful "Travels with Judy". :)

GemGem and The Vintage Vendeuse like this.
  9. At this point, I will offer some updated info gleaned from the internet on the Arosa Sky. In 1959, just one year after Judy's trip, the Arosa Sky was sold by the Arosa Line to the Costa Line, which renamed her the Bianca C. In October 1961, while anchored off Granada, there was an explosion in the main boiler room which immediately killed one crew member. The entire ship was soon on fire but all other passengers and crew had been able to escape. Unfortunately, two more crew members later died of burns. The Bianca C/Arosa Sky burned for several days. A frigate managed to pull it out of the harbor, though it didn't get far before the Bianca C/Arosa Sky sank. The Bianca C is the largest shipwreck in the Caribbean and is promoted by Granada as a tourist attraction.
    arosasky1.jpg

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

11. Thank you, Jonathan, I especially love a chance to see inside and imagine Judy sitting in one of the chairs!
    I wonder, was Judy on the Arosa Sky's second New York to Plymouth voyage? The date on the brochure you show is April 22 but Judy didn't sail until June 11.
    Moving on...

Date: Thursday, June 19, 1958
    Place: Edinburgh, Scotland
    Weather: Cold and rainy

Got up this morning at 7:00 for a 7:30 breakfast with Mynie and the Kansas State crew (Clayton and Alan), then our Imperial group took the 9:30 train to Edinburgh. Lunch on the train was very good, and we got in at 4:00. (Had a letter from mom.) The stores closed at 5:30 so after checking in at our hotel, The Rothesay, we walked downtown to look around. It started to rain and my shoes were soaked. Since those were the only ones I brought along I had to wear them all evening (my black flats) and the black came off on my feet! Saw some nice cashmeres, and Sue, Judy H, Jean, Timmy, and I had tea and little cakes
    ($0.20) before walking all the way back to the hotel in the rain.

Rothesay Hotel today:
    [​IMG]

Date: Friday, June 20, 1958
    Place: Edinburgh
    Weather: Cold and damp

Sue and I woke up this morning at 7:45 and the room was freezing! I didn't describe our room - we were way down in the basement, with no lock on the door, and in order to get any heat from the one tiny heater you had to put in a shilling (14 cents).
    These Scotch! Meals were tasteless and I wasn't the least impressed!
    Our trip to Edinburgh was about three hours long and I got awfully cold!
    (Bus tour of Scotland $0.35.) We visited Holyrood Castle where Mary Queen of Scots lived. The rooms were filled with portraits, tapestries, furniture and we saw some of the crown jewels. After that we went through St. Giles Cathedral, and then through Edinburgh Castle which is situated high on the rocks and completely dominates the city. We also saw Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson's house.
    After lunch we went shopping and I went completely mad - spending about $117.00! I started my gold charm bracelet and got a thistle charm
    ($31.85 for both), 3 cashmere sweaters (Lyle and Scott cashmere $23.62, twin cashmere set $23.62), and one shetland (yellow cardigan $7.35), a sterling silver spoon ($2.80), and two thistle pins (silver, $7.00), one which I sent home to mom. After another tasteless supper, Sue, Jean, Betsy and I went on a bus tour of the city by ourselves. I'm writing this as we take the night sleeper to London at 11:30 pm.

GemGem likes this.
  12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Is that a catwalk do you think in the bar photo?

This is great stuff Donna. It's exciting to travel with her and see what I recognise! The post on arriving at Plymouth reminded me of the lyrics of Anything goes (remade in 1956), which I danced to last week for a concert. I know it's the wrong Plymouth, but it's highly appropriate, of course, being set on a ship. :) and quite indicative of the changing times.

[RENO]
    Times have changed,
    And we've often rewound the clock,
    Since the Puritans got a shock,
    When they landed on Plymouth Rock.
    If today,
    Any shock they should try to stem,
    'Stead of landing on Plymouth Rock,
    Plymouth Rock would land on them.

In olden days a glimpse of stocking
    Was looked on as something shocking,
    But now, God knows,
    Anything Goes.

Good authors too who once knew better words,
    Now only use four letter words
    Writing prose, Anything Goes.

The world has gone mad today
    And good's bad today,
    And black's white today,
    And day's night today,
    When most guys today
    That women prize today
    Are just silly gigolos
    And though I'm not a great romancer
    I know that I'm bound to answer
    When you propose,
    Anything goes

When grandmama whose age is eighty
    In night clubs is getting matey with gigolo's,
    Anything Goes.

When mothers pack and leave poor father
    Because they decide they'd rather be tennis pros,
    Anything Goes.

If driving fast cars you like,
    If low bars you like,
    If old hymns you like,
    If bare limbs you like,
    If Mae West you like
    Or me undressed you like,
    Why, nobody will oppose!
    When every night,
    The set that's smart
    Is intruding in nudist parties in studios,
    Anything Goes.

[RENO, PASSENGERS & CREW]
    The world has gone mad today
    And good's bad today,
    And black's white today,
    And day's night today,
    When most guys today
    That women prize today
    Are just silly gigolos
    When you propose,
    Anything goes

[RENO]
    If saying your prayers you like,
    If green pears you like
    If old chairs you like,
    If back stairs you like,
    If love affairs you like
    With young bears you like,
    Why nobody will oppose!

[ALL]
    When you propose,
    Anything goes...
    Anything goes!

GemGem and The Vintage Vendeuse like this.
  13. Date: Saturday, June 21, 1958 (Bill sails today!)
    Place: Stratford-on-Avon and London
    Weather: Sunny, and cool!

I certainly didn't get much sleep last night 'cause I was too cold! We got into London at 6:45 and I had two letters from mom and one from Bill! (Finally.) After eating at the Royal, we left for Stratford-on-Avon at 9:00. Our tour leader for the day, a Mrs. L, had a voice just like Anna Russell's and along the way she gave us bits of information about points of interest, and when she came to them she was more excited than any of us - certainly more than me 'cause I was asleep most of the time - a great way to see London. We stopped for coffee along the way and then saw Oxford College. We visited the college of Christ Church and went into the dining room consisting of many long tables, and various portraits along the walls. We ate lunch at a very nice place, and then we saw Romeo and Juliet which I enjoyed very much.
    We ate supper at Ye Old Bull Head Inn, and had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (bread dough). We got back to London at 11:00 and poor Alan had been waiting for me since 9:30. We saw the changing of the guards (sentry) at Buckingham Palace, took a walk, had coffee and then I came home at 1:00! Beat!!

Date: Sunday, June 22, 1958
    Place: London
    Weather: Rainy as usual!

Got up and went to 8:00 mass with the girls from St. Mary's. Came back and went up to get Mynie for breakfast. While I was eating Mrs. P brought me a real sweet letter from dad, and a letter from Christian, my Frenchman.
    (There is no further explanation of how Judy knows Christian, though he shows up later in the diary.)
    Alan came at 11:00 and we took Sue with us. First we went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Works. It was certainly interesting - the figures looked real and the chamber of horrors was quite scary. There was a huge crowd there and we had fun laughing at ourselves in those crazy mirrors in the fun room! We stopped at an English servicemen's club for a beer with lime in it (different!) then to the Tower of London to look at the crown jewels, and then to Bunjies (she spells it correctly with the "j" this time) for huge plates of spaghetti. We got back to the hotel around 9:30 and I wrote some post-cards and letters to mom and Bill. Sue and I went over across the street to have some ice-cream and then up to visit Harry and J.M. who had food-poisoning. (Angels of Mercy?)

Date: Monday, June 23, 1958
    Weather: Warm - some showers

Got up this morning for the same old breakfast and then left at 9:15 for an all day tour of England. We had a very young bus driver who was something of a hot-rodder, and our guide, Mrs. C, was something for the books! She wore a black beret and carried this red umbrella which she stuck in the air and expected us to follow her. First we went to Buckingham Palace and saw the changing of the guard - then to Westminster Abbey with all its tombs, and the Chapel of the Order of the Bath.
    For lunch, we ate down town
    ($0.65), and then went out to Stoke Poges and saw the country church where Gray wrote his elegy. Next we went to Windsor Castle (booklet and postcards $0.76) where it rained quite hard and then stopped. (You never go anywhere in London without a rain-coat.) After that we went to Hampton Court (beautiful gardens) and then home. Everyone wanted a picture of Mrs. C with her umbrella and I nearly died laughing at Harry who kept following along behind her 'cause he wanted one from the rear!
    We rushed home and Betsy, Jean, Timmy, and I got dressed to go to see Duel of Angels, a play starring Vivian Leigh and Clair Bloom
    (ticket $1.06). We ate dinner in a nice place after that ($1.20), had huge musical fountains with colored lights.

Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1958
    Weather: Cool

Today was our free day, so after mailing letters at the post office, Sue and I got started on our shopping spree! We took the tube to the silver vaults, and then went to Regent and New Bond St. Here's what I bought today:
    two gold charms for my bracelet - a guard
    ($8.43) and a toby jug ($8.76)
    a brown shetland crew neck for Clare (her brother) ($17.57)
    a hand-painted table cloth and 8 napkins ($35.14)
    a sterling silver spoon for my collection ($4.97)
    seven silk scarves at Liberty's ($16.62)
    We ended up our stay in London with a fabulous evening! The tickets to My Fair Lady are sold out 'til October, but Jean, Betsy, and Tim went down early to see about standing room, and we got it for four shillings (54 cents). Standing room in New York is $3.75! I didn't mind standing at all, the costumes and settings were beautiful and the play was wonderful!
    Just as I'm getting used to seeing cars driving on the left-hand side of the road, and am beginning to know my way around, we have to leave for Norway at 8:00 am!

Date: Wednesday, June 25, 1958
    Place: Train to Newcastle - SS Venus
    Weather: Cool

Got up this morning at 6:45 after going to bed at 2:15! The train left London at 9:00 - I tried sleeping but those trains are too uncomfortable. We got on ship at 4:00, just in time for tea; so Sue and I had whipped cream cake and cocoa. Norwegian food is much better than English food. For supper I had perch which was really good. Afterwards we visited the Ship Shop. I got some stamps for Aunt Marie, pin and earrings for mom, another pin, and a toy seal named So-Ho (after Bunjies!) Wrote some letters, had a beer at the bar and am going to bed early - 11:30!!
    (Ledger simply states: "Presents on ship $10.28".)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    GemGem and PersonalPursuits like this.
  14. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

All caught up -- and I'm hanging on Miss Judy's every word. This diary deserves publication.

15. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I went a little mad reading that! :wow22:

Thank you so much for generously sharing this little gem with us!

I didn't realize that movies were shown on cruise ships back then, too... And how interesting that theater tickets cost much more on Broadway than in London. Sort of like the difference between shows in Boston (home for me) and NYC now...

16. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Agree!

GemGem and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  17. PersonalPursuits

What a treat to read the history of the ship, Arosa Sky and see the photos really brought Judy's trip to life.

I thought I would share some history of Willow Run Airport.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is what the exterior looked like in 1959. The cafeteria in 1960.

The Willow Run Airport in Van Buren Township is certainly not lost, but its passenger terminal (along with scheduled passenger service) is long gone. The airport itself opened in 1942, and the strikingly modern passenger terminal was opened after the end of World War II in a former hangar. In 1948 it became the first airline terminal to feature a movie theater, while in 1946 it saw the establishment of the first airport car rental company, Avis. The University of Michigan owned the airport from 1947 to 1977 when Wayne County took over operations. In 1957, a $1.5 million remodeling resulted in the terminal’s distinctive false ceiling. But this couldn’t prevent passenger service from gradually shifting to the newly enlarged Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus which is ten miles closer to Detroit. That spelled the end of the terminal which was demolished in 1967.

https://detroithistorical.wordpress.com/2013/11/

Willow Run still exists today.

I think it was the beginning of the end for passenger travel at Willow Run when Judy started her travels.

18. PersonalPursuits

Lol, some things never change!

19. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Maxine, I'm just waiting to see if the prices in Norway were as inflated as they are today!

PersonalPursuits likes this.
  20. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You realize now you have to transcribe the ENTIRE diary... It's like waiting for the next episode of Mad Men...

sewingmachinegirl likes this.