1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a quick question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jul 29, 2019.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I just wanted to know, when it comes to vintage dresses and dating them, does it make any difference which side of a dress the zippers or snaps are on? Pretty much all of my dresses have closures on the left side. I’m wondering if they ever put them on the right. Thanks!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have found the odd one that was on the right, not very often but it does happen.

acceber likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Ditto, Also a custom made garment might have snaps on the right if the lady was left handed. But it is unusual.

acceber likes this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have this 1940s dress with the zipper on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    acceber likes this.
  5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you very much. I just acquired what was described as a 1930s dress but the snaps are on the right side and I had never seen that before. The rest of the dress is easy to date so I just wanted to be sure!

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Just another small input from experience - some 30s dress styles can be a little confusing as to what is front and what is back... just consider this when thinking about which side the zipper should be on. It happened to myself - I wore my first 30s dress the wrong way around. No bust darts, and it buttons down the back - easy to get confused :).

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Oh I hadn’t thought of that! Thank you!

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've done that too with a 30s dress, on a mannequin. Didn't realise at all until my buyer pointed it out after purchase! I felt like such a numpty.

Midge and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  9. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Good point Karin! this happens with my models quite often and 30s pieces.

Midge and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member