1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justin Cowboy Boots questions - update

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Howdy!

Or perhaps I should say How Do You Do? English girl that I am, cowboy boots are definitely not my area of expertise!

I was told these boots were vintage women's boots, but I don't know if either is true.

I can see Justin have been around for since 1879, and still exist. The style number for these is 2557. There is a current model L2557, but that is a different boot. The registration number is 20225 - I don't know what that refers too. There's a worn gold Justin Made in USA stamp on the insole, which I've tried to photograph.

How does one date such a classic item? I don't think these are very old, but I did wonder if they might be 70s/80s.

Is there a way to tell if they are men's or womens? They have quite a high heel (2 1/4 inch), but they seem slightly large for a (US) 10 D - this is my size and they are a bit too big for me (that's why I'm selling them on), which made me wonder if they might be men's boots. Also I believe I read in a recent thread that A-D is no longer used in the US as a shoe width?

Excuse the quick pics - I am planning to polish these up before I take proper photos and list them.

Many thanks for any help from across the pond.

Ruth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am not a cowboy boot expert by any means, but I think these are from the early 90s, when Sante Fe Tex/Mex was in (the last time there was a cowboy style revival). The tops of the boots are very rounded, which is typical of this period. Although these are honest cowboy boots, not pure fashion, they are from the era when cowboy boots entered the fashion wardrobe. The high, slanted stacked leather heel is considered authentic by some cowboy boot collectors, but its actually an affectation. The original cowboy boots (from the true era of the cowboy 1880 - 1920) originated from ex Civil War boots with low heels and plain uppers. The high heel is from the 1920-1960 period of Hollywood Westerns, Dude Ranches, and Rodeo show-riding when bootmakers began using Mexican tooled leather techniques, coloured leather inlays, sharp pointed toes, and high, stacked leather heels. Your boots are from the next era when cowboy boots entered the fashion wardrobe, especially in the late 70s/early 80s, and early 90s when they used many of the high-style features like high, stacked heels, pointed toes, tooling details etc., but usually in plain colours like black and brown. I think these are men's btw.

3. joules

joules VFG Member

4. Retro Ruth

Thanks very much Jonathan, that is really interesting stuff. I see what you mean about the rounded tops. For someone who claims not to be an expert, you know a great deal! I guess it's a big subject.

After I posted I realised could also contact Justin and ask them, so I'll let you know if they respond with any further information.

Thanks too Joules for adding your thoughts on their 'gender'.

Ruth

5. Retro Ruth

I got a very prompt reply from Justin. They said:

"Thanks for the photos. We were able to identify the boots by this information partnered with the style number you provided earlier. These are what were called "Chestnut Yearling" which is a chestnut colored cowhide. These boots were manufactured from July of 1980 to July of 1981 only."

Which is pretty precise. I'm glad they are early 80s, as I really can't yet think of early 90s as vintage.

By the way I love the phrase 'honest cowboy boots'! I might use that when I list them. Thanks for your help, I know a lot more about cowboy boots than I did yesterday.

Ruth

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Missed it by a decade -- that's why I said I wasn't a cowboy boot expert!

7. joules

joules VFG Member

I've always liked Justin; I have a vintage pair in my personal wardrobe.
    How nice that they responded so quickly to your inquiry. That's great!
    Here are my Justins; they are ladies boots:
    [​IMG]

8. Retro Ruth

Yes isn't it great when a company gets back to you?

Joules you look great in your Justins. I'd never heard of them until I got these boots.

Oh and you were both right on them being men's boots - Justin confirmed that.

9. joules

joules VFG Member

It sure is! It makes me even more loyal to the brand.

Oh, thank you! I found these on last year's vacation trip. Or was it the year before? I should take a picture of just the Justins, as they're really nicely made.

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in that those are nice boots. I lost all my antique and vintage cowboy boots to mildew back in the summer of 1998. Even my 1940's purple and ivory genuine rodeo boots.....Waaahh! So I am loving those and Joules yours are great also.

Jonathan, thank you for all that info on cowboy boots. Very interesting indeed.

B

11. joules

joules VFG Member

Even the 40s purple ones? (Those must have been quite special.) That sounds like a major heartbreak disaster, Barbara. It's hard to find the cool old ones, in the right size and all.

Thanks! I'm holding a Madcaps hat there too.

12. Retro Ruth

Purple and Ivory 1940s boots? Oh that must have been heartbreaking.

Thanks for your 'chime' - glad you like them. They are quite simple, but that's got it's own appeal, and you can tell they are very well made.