1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JW Robinson CALIFORNIA - Mink Fur Coat - HELP with dating and value of this piece!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SpeeeedyJ, Feb 24, 2008.

1. SpeeeedyJ

SpeeeedyJ Registered Guest

JW Robinson CALIFORNIA (label)
    Mink Coat, Shin Length

CONDITION:
    This fur is in excellent condition other than a small tear in the right arm, and a small hole torn inside on the neck fabric (not fur) near the label. The fabric along the neck is somewhat worn, too, but not badly. Both can be dealt with by a furrier, not major repairs from the looks of it, but I could be wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help in dating or value! I'd also like to know if there are any Furrier listings for SoCal?

--Jim---

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hello-
    I'm no fur expert as I rarely sell it anymore -- but I will say that tears of any kind are generally not a good indication. It usually means that the hide is dry enough for the pelts to have split.
    I'm sure they can sometimes be repaired -- but I've been told that if the pelts are that dry, any repair likely will pull out quickly.

Also - do check the actual fur by grabbing a pinch of it between your thumb & forefinger and giving a gentle tug. If more than a random stray hair or two comes out when you do this, do NOT buy the fur as it's too far gone to do anything with.

Maybe someone else can come along and help you more -- I just don't know enough about fur repairs.

I know that you can, however, do quite well on eBay selling damaged furs as "cutter" for the craft/doll folks.

Good luck!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It has lovely styling...but if there are splits happening that is not a good sign as it is usually an indicator of more to come. Can you touch the pelts underneath the lining, if they feel dried out, that is really not good. You can of course still sell it but you won't be able to ask very much for it, if it is dried out and splitting. A good furrier should be able to give you an honest opinion on the condition of the fur.

Good luck with it! Vintage furs are always tricky!

4. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Agreed that a tear is potentially an indicator of rot. Is the tear along a seam beteween pelts? That can be repaired....but if its from dry rot to the pelts, and the skin is splitting....no way to fix that at all. Go to where the tear is and pull, fairly hard. If it keeps pulling apart that is bad news.

The lining is going to affect what someone will pay, relining is about 100 dollars or so.

Looks 40s to me.

Ang