1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinkurl Exclusive 100% wool coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sunshine Grove, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Sunshine Grove

Sunshine Grove Registered Guest

I purchased a blue wool coat with white buttons at an estate sale and would love more information. I haven't been able to find much so far on Kinkurl however the previous owner said it was a 1940s coat. Hopefully someone here can help with information on the company and possibly a date. The tag reads FC Kinkurl Exclusive 100% wool with a second tag Milium Insulated Fabric. The National Coat and Suit Industry Recovery Board tag reads FFG 337501. Thanks so much!

tag.jpg coat.jpg

2. joules

joules VFG Member

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree the coat is 1950's. It looks wonderful on you (if you're the model!). The cut is very typical of the 1950's, as well. I would describe the fabric as bouclé. There's a very similar coat shown in "Everyday Fashions of the Fifties - as Shown in the Sear's Catalog" in 1956. I think your coat is from the mid-1950's because of the baby blue color.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

I agree with Linn, in characterizing the fabric as bouclé. Isn't it fascinating, that the underside has a coating of aluminum? Amazing!

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I found this ad from 1959 for coats including those made with Kinkurl. By the text it would seem Kinkurl refers to the fabric. The coat pictured actually looks pretty similar!
    1959.jpg
    1959 Kinkurl coat ad.jpg

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a pretty coat, it looks great on your model! I have a coat on now with the milium fabric, style and colouring is quite different from yours however.
    I just wanted to add what we found out about milium fabric which is quite interesting:
    "Milium fabric was introduced in 1950 and was made by coating the underside of the fabric with aluminum, thereby trapping body heat to give the wearer more warmth.
    I’m not sure how long that Milium was on the market, but you don’t see this fabric very often."

7. Wow, you learn something new every day.

I agree with '50s on the dating, and that it's a wool boucle' or "kinkurl" as the trademarked name seems to be for this particular weave. They sure got creative with fabrics back then - I found one the other day, can't remember the name (Hela something) that was a mixture of wool and rubber used in sportswear - I found it on a pair of equestrian jodphurs.

I like both your coat and your model.

8. joules

joules VFG Member

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Julie, I had not noticed...sorry...I've been skimming items as I am just coming back from a flu bug which caught me on Tuesday morning!

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Figured you'd skimmed. I'm famous for that!
    Sorry to learn that you've been under the weather. That's no fun. Hope you're all better now.
    Love learning about that fabrication.

11. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

12. Sunshine Grove

Sunshine Grove Registered Guest

Thank you so much for all of the feedback! This is actually my first posting and am finding my way through dating clothing.

1950s coat it is! Thanks for referring me to the information on the Milium Fabric. Who knew that aluminum would be used in fabric to insulate yet be very stylish. The fabric itself is in good condition with only 2 small stains. I agree that the fabric can be described as boucle and didn’t tie together the label name of kinkurl. Very clever!

The advertisement is great. It looks so similar to the coat. Thank you for sharing Ruth.

My model is my younger sister Stacie. We took advantage of the winter California sun modeling the coat and 3 dresses yesterday.

Edited by admin...removed links
    Please read registration terms
    http://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/registration-and-forum-use-terms-please-read.22613/