1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KOOS Couture dresses.... 80s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by donnah, Sep 17, 2010.

1. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Hello everyone! I've posted rarely but enjoy reading this board and looking at all the lovelies.

I'm hoping to get some info about two KOOS Couture dresses I have. I've been able to find some good info about the designer but precious little photos of his dresses or how to determine their age. I'm thinking 80s on these? Any input is appreciated, thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Okay, I feel very silly now! I was looking in the label resource under "K" for KOOS and, of course, couldn't find anything. I just found him under "V" for Van den Akker.

3. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

I've also found it helps to google "Koos Van den Akker" rather than "Koos Couture". :rolleyes:

4. yes to '80s.

Nicole

5. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Thank you, Nicole.

I love the first one but the second one isn't really my style.

6. joules

joules VFG Member

These are killer! I love Koos van den Akker. The thing is, I'd posted a photo of one of mine, from my personal wardrobe, on flickr, and I received a comment, purportedly from the designer himself, about the date he had made the dress, which was really cool. I feel 80s here too. Lovely condition, and I love the second one too!

7. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Thank you for your comments, joules. Do you still have the dress or photo of your Koos? I'd love to see it. Gosh, fancy the designer himself making a comment about it.... neat!

Both my dresses are in fantastic condition, worn once if at all. I feel the first one is 40s inspired and that's why I like it so much. I love the garments from the 30s and 40s.

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Great pieces! The first one reminds me of a lot of the things I wore during the 80s--versatile, could wear to work and dinner, etc. But, I gotta tell ya, that second one is fabulous!!!!!

9. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

May I ask... can anyone offer hints on pricing, or is that not permitted on this forum? Please excuse my ignorance if I've asked a question that I shouldn't have.

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Can't help with pricing, but love the fabrics in the 2nd. It's Indonesian Batik isn't it?

11. joules

joules VFG Member

donnah, I'm not sure that the person who commented, was really Koos, but seemed to have a definite opinion, as to the date. Could be one of those people to block from viewing photos, I'm not quite sure! He stated that he made my dress in 1985. Here is the label:
    [​IMG]

12. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

GoldenAge, I don't know if it's Indonesian Batik but that sure sounds great!

joules, I can see your label photo but not the second photo. What sort of style was your dress?

13. joules

joules VFG Member

14. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

Hey, cute!! Koos really knows how to play with pattern.

15. I agree with GoldenAge that the second one looks like an Indonesian batik print.

Nicole

16. donnah

donnah Registered Guest

OMG, I just found Koos' website and it includes an interesting video interview with him. He states that he doesn't care about fashion... he just likes to sew. And he also talks about his two cats, both of which died of old age in the workroom. He even says that one of them died on a piece of brocade that he subsequently made into a jacket and the customer "never knew that some cat died on it"!

http://www.koosnyc.com/page4.htm