1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Label Identification Help! - French Designer for Dietls

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kate L, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Kate L

Kate L Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me identify this label? I've tried googling the letters I think it spells out, but nothing comes up. I thought it said "Jean Louis Baletta" but I've not found that as a designer.
    The dress is an 80s or early 90s style color block sheath that also has a Dietl's Munchen label. IMG_4769.jpg

Thanks for your help!
    Kate

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Hi Kate, and welcome to the forums. I can't help on the designer, but looked up the retailer - I'm sure you did so too - they're a good retailer, with high end labels.

If you can show the dress as a whole, we can help date it which might narrow things down. I can't see what else the label could say apart from "Baletta", it seems pretty clear, and I can't find anything on that except a theatrical lighting designer.

3. Kate L

Kate L Registered Guest

Thank you Nicole! The material is lightweight (like a cotton or linen blend?), it's fully lined and has a yellow YKK zipper.
    Here are some other pics:
    IMG_4805.jpg IMG_4806.jpg

4. Thank you: I have some questions for you.
    • Is this the actual silhouette of the dress, or is it clipped to the mannequin?
    • Can you please show a close up of the second label.
    • Are there any other labels, ie, fabric composition, size, care? Look down the side seams as there should be some (they're required by law but sometimes people cut them out).
    • Are there any shoulder pads, or signs of shoulder pads that have been removed?
    • What is the total length, ie, is it a mini dress?

5. Kate L

Kate L Registered Guest

It was slightly pinned in my first photo, here's another that is not pinned at all.
    Length is approximately 35 inches.
    There is no fabric composition or size/care tag.
    It's about a modern size US4.
    There are no shoulder pads or evidence of any that may have been removed.
    IMG_4807.jpg IMG_4808.jpg

6. Thanks for the additional information Kate.

Your dress looks like a custom made dress (not ready to wear), is very nicely made to a high professional standard. I date it to the early to mid '90s or more recent.

It's odd that nothing comes up on the designer, so perhaps you might like to contact Dietl's and ask them? As a heritage, family owned business, it's likely that they'll be able to help you.

7. Kate L

Kate L Registered Guest

Ok, I will try that! Thanks for all your help and questions. Kate

8. You're welcome, Kate. I hope it helps. Good luck.