1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lacoste Mystery. and union label chat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I acquired this blazer. It is just so sharp, much more I think than the pics reveal. In fact if it fit my husband, it would not be for sale at all. I didn't think about the year, just thought it was great. Definitely thought it was vintage. You can't see it but in the lapel that is in the shade there is a hole for a flower, etc.. i need to get my dictionary out to spell bootenier). I really can spell, honest i can!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now when I saw the label on it I was shocked. I have such a mental block on Lacoste. I remember it TOO well from the 80s and the only thing it makes me think of are pastel polo shirts. No...it can't be.

So imagine my surprised when I saw this:
    [​IMG]

But then imagine my BIGGER surprise when I saw this:

[​IMG]

Which would indicate it would be anywhere from the 40s through the early/mid 60s right?

All the early 80s jackets i have found have the seal/circle union label, and then the pocket configuration says older than 80s too. All my 70s blazers have the pockets on the outside of that unlike the slash pockets, or just the slits. etc, the 80s and 90s jackets would have.

So could this actually be? At least as old as the 60s?

I read the label resource and this label is not in there. (i will be actually scanning all labels for inclusion later) THe Bambergers label I can look up to, but i seem to think Bambergers might be still around in NY but i am not certain.

Chris

2. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I htink I have found that almagamated workers label in newer clothing like 70's

Pretty nice and I like it with that tie. Looks so Muffys Buffys Biff!

3. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Oh and only saying thats the latest I have found that label in clothing so it may have been around even later than that.

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I get totally confused on those Union labels Chris. My gut feeling with this
    jacket is that it is early 60s, and hopefully one of the gurus will pop in and
    agree AND give a reason why it is (or isn't).

It IS sharp - and MuffyBuffy's Bif would look dynamite in it!

Sue

5. Patentleathershoes

Well, according to the label resource, Lacoste did make preppy stuff in the 60s too.

The big reason that i was saying not 80s is that all the 80s coats i have ever come acrossed, don't have that pocket treatment. They all have just the slits and not the...i don't know...those aren't really patch pockets...but pockets on the outside. suit coats i mean...retro-ish barn jackets might have outside, etc.

The other reason is that the jackets of the early 80s that i have ever seen had the seal label. There are some 70s things i have seen that have that other label with the Big initials on it as well as the seal label.

As always, i am open to being wrong. I will look for some other clues.

6. Patentleathershoes

This is not from this suit, but from a newer Joseph Abboud just to show this union label.
    [​IMG]

now, i think this one is pretty modern. this is one of the other labels i have seen in 70s etc.

maybe the big thing is that you see them later in the better made stuff....and Joseph Abboud is of the $350-800 suits.

7. Hi Chris,

Nice jacket.

I would say it is late 60s - early 70s. I recently had a 70s jacket with the EXACT same detailing - same felt under the collar, same pocket construction, same long back vent. The only thing that is throwing me is that the lapels don't look wide enough for 70s, so could be late 60s very early 70s.

Ok, next opinion please...

;) ~ Maureen

8. Patentleathershoes

so a cusper then? Muffy and Biff decided that they were not going to be hippies like their friends (and certainly previously bypassed the whole mod thing) and wore this look :)