1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladies in Black - fantastic film!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure we discussed this film here before. I don't think it made it to our cinemas here (and if it did, it was only for like a second!)... but my best friend had downloaded it and loved it, so she gave it to me to watch:
    Ladies in Black (trailer on IMDB) - it's set in Sydney in 1959 and the story basically revolves about ladies working in a department store in the cocktail dress and model gowns departments.
    So enjoyable - lovely story, some laugh out loud moments (and all those jokes about Melbourne :hysterical:), also some touching ones - and so beautifully made! Costume-wise, I am guessing that there was a lot of true vintage in there, in any case, it looked just right. In any case - highly recommendable!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I will look into this, thanks Karin! Finished off Mrs. Maisel, so need to move on to something else.

Racked Vintage likes this.
  3. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I look forward to checking it out! Thanks for sharing, Karin!

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Great trailer -- and Julia Ormond is one of my favorites. Thanks, Karin!

5. It looks fascinating .
    I see some familiar faces from A Place To Call Home, another Australian production set in the 50s.

I highly recommend the above series.

Flannery Crane likes this.
  6. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

I will look for this

7. Midge

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Loved Ladies in Black - the costuming is excellent and it's a charming story. If you like it, you will also like Enchanted April - it's from the early 90s but it's also a feel good film with good costuming and charm.

9. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Thanks for the post Karin. I worked as a costume cutter on this film, working with Costume Designer Wendy Cork. It is the most beautiful film, and a heartwarming story.
    A great deal of the costumes were indeed original Vintage, Rachel Taylor's costumes were all original vintage .
    Our workroom area at Fox studios in Sydney, was surrounded by racks and racks of the most amazing vintage clothing, it was torture sometimes not having time to look at it all!.
    We cut and made costumes for many of the principal artists from period references. I cut many of the costumes for Julia Ormond, and I also had the privilege of cutting the 'Lisette"dress for Angourie Rice,which was made from the most exquisite french lace and silk. Other favorites were the showgirl costumes which we made, and cutting the skirt suit for Noni Hazelhurst.

I hope everyone enjoys watching the film.
    Cheers
    Gayle

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...e-costumes-of-the-ladies-in-black-in-pictures
    LADIES.jpg

10. Midge

Thank you Gayle - passed it on to my mom to watch. My friend really enjoyed it too, I don't even know how she found it, but she spends a lot of time on IMDB...

Working on this must have been amazing! Pretty much at the start of the film, Lisa wears this dress with a zipper in the back, but it's not from the top but sits in the middle back and I thought this can only be real vintage... never seen that anywhere else except in one 50s dress that I have :).
    Julia Ormond's black dresses are fantastic - as she is in this role!
    I had a good giggle about the pink dress her mom makes for Lisa - it really had everything that it shouldn't have.

11. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Those pink dresses were so much fun- the team that made them found it very hard to do a 'homemade' job of them !
    And yes Angourie got to wear lots of very nice original vintage items.