1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Goldman Bakes

Goldman Bakes Registered Guest

Hi, hopefully someone can help me? Yet again I have found another beautiful bag its label says Lanca made I n England im guessing its 1960's but I can't find another on like it and wondered what it was called and how much it is worth if I did want sell it! Many thanks jenny.

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I suspect it is earlier than 60's with those amber style clasp ends (which are probably an early plastic).
    Can you show the interior, any labels and tell us if it is leather or faux please?
    We cannot value your item but once you know what you have you can search ebay sold listings for an idea of current market value.

3. Goldman Bakes

Ah great. Thank you for your quick response. Hope you can see from this picture! Jenny .

Attached Files:

4. Goldman Bakes

And sorry it does smell like leather. Is there any way of telling?

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think that is 1960s, maybe a touch earlier back into the 50s, but I don't think so. I can't quite tell how big it is, if larger more likely 60s, but that's not definitive.

The kiss clasp detail with those plastic ends is really nice, and makes this more desirable, but otherwise I don't find simple black bags of this style and era such a great seller, as they are quite common, and so don't tend to bring in high prices. But that clasp may make the difference. I can't see them very well, but I think they appear mottled, like tortoiseshell? In which case I'd call them faux tortoiseshell or faux horn. If it's real leather that will also push the price up.

The only way to know leather for sure is if you can see the back, eg if there is a break in the lining, which will be like suede if it's real leather. If it is scuffed anywhere, you can sometimes tell by how it scuffs. I can usually tell by feel and look, (and smell, as you say) whether something is real leather. However often a real leather bag will have a suede lining, so as this has a fabric lining, I wouldn't assume it is leather, if you aren't sure.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Oh and you could call it a frame bag, or a kelly bag (though kelly bag isn't strictly accurate, this style of bag often does get called that)

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Yes I agree the lining makes 60's much more likely. The clasp gives it a nice older look on the outside.

8. Goldman Bakes

Thank you for your time. X

9. Jocelyn Ollett

Jocelyn Ollett Registered Guest

10. Jocelyn Ollett

Jocelyn Ollett Registered Guest

Rather late in the day...
    I was a director of Lanca ... The Lancashire Handbag Company, in the 1980s.
    We produced bags for the mass market in the UK, always good quality but not a "designer" label.

As a well preserved item, it would probably attract interest from wardrobe buyers in the film / theatre world.

Pinkcoke and Retro Ruth like this.