1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lanvin and Augustabernard evening wear, 1934 Ladies' Home Journal

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Robin of Frocksley, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I found the September 1934 issue of Ladies' Home Journal, which is of course chock-full of wonderful old advertisements. There's one from Campbell's soup introducing their newest flavor, Cream of Mushroom! I was particularly pleased to find a short article on the newest evening wear fashions, with color pictures of designs by Lanvin and Augustabernard. The silver cape is my favorite piece, so flashy. Thanks for letting me share!
    20151127_113516.jpg 20151127_113526.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Lovely - does it say what the second dress is made from? I am highly tempted to recreate that look, as I have a lovely 1930s style brown velvet evening dress (from the 1990s however) that I don't wear because I also have brown hair. A green sash would be a lovely contrast feature though.

3. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I also love the color combination, Melanie! Apparently, the gown is satin and the bow treatment is velvet. The Journal states: "Certainly this brown satin evening gown from Augustabernard is a strong straw in the fashion wind, with its slight fullness gathered in just above the train. The yoke in back, and enormous bow in front, are of the greenest green velvet. Who but Augustabernard would think of the effectiveness of brown and green?"

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Maybe I'll go for a green satin bow then :)

Robin of Frocksley likes this.