1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late Guilded Age Clothing Portrait ID

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by pivara, Oct 14, 2018.

1. pivara

pivara Registered Guest

I'm hoping that someone can provide some sort of chronological overlap of the styles present here? Not sure if the lack of 3-piece suits, ties, children's hats, female style of dress, hairstyle, etc can be used, but those are where my thoughts go from being an archaeologist and the study of chronotypes. Perhaps this is around 1910? Many thanks for any assistance afforded me in this matter.

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

While this is just a guess on my part, I might date it a little earlier than 1910. Maybe closer to 1900. This photo does not have a great deal of clues as we cannot really see the woman's hair or if she has a hat, and most of her clothing is not showing. Judging by the men's clothing and their stance, the family seems to be lower income or perhaps immigrants. The men's jackets are open and should be buttoned closed in this photo. Perhaps the jackets do not fit and are used just for the portrait which was a common practice as the photographer would provide the jacket. The jackets could be a decade older than the photos as well. The one on the left looks a little older in style (1890s?) than the one on the right.

The best clue might be the baby's hat. Although children's hats are not as good a clue as a woman's hat. The little girl's hat appears to be circa late 1890s to early 1900s.

If they were a middle class or upper class family, the clothing would provide better clues.

Hopefully more of us will come along and give opinions.

cmpollack and gossamer like this.
  3. pivara

pivara Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your astute observations of the available information. I too figured that the clothing represents mosaic of traits having a decent overlap in the mid-19oughts. You are correct that they are immigrants with the teenage boy likely being born in 1892, so he'd likely have more current clothing while the moustache guy is likely to have curated clothing from the 1890s as you suggest.