1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laura Ashley Dress Question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Annabel Lee, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Annabel Lee

Annabel Lee Registered Guest

Hello all!

I'm back with another Laura Ashley query.

I just bought this lovely dress from a woman who wore it in her youth in the 70s. So I'm sure about the age of the garment. But what bothers me a little is the fact that the label was sewn in a bit wonky. The "Laura" part is completely in the seam.

What do y'all make of that?

Thank you in advance for your two cents! ☺️

Screenshot_20201218-154622__01__01.jpg Screenshot_20201218-154606__01.jpg Screenshot_20201218-154612__01.jpg Screenshot_20201218-154558__01.jpg

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

We do have a similar label in the label resource. The main difference is the name Laura does not show on yours and yours states Europe above the size, the one we have does not. It would be good to add this one to our label resources, if we can figure out if it is authentic.

I see what you mean about the wonky label, could it be someone made this one up and added a Laura Ashley label???? I hope not.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/ashley-laura/

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If the seller was the original owner and bought it in the 1970s, I think maybe just sloppy sewing at the factory?

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I also think it's just sloppy sewing.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Just wanted to add, if it is an original, it's a beauty, that print is really lovely!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

A wonderful dress indeed.

7. Annabel Lee

Annabel Lee Registered Guest

Thanks for all the feedback!

Honestly, it seems like an original, which is why I was a little thrown off by the wonky label. Though I have seen some sloppy label stitching in Laura Ashleys before, just not quite this bad.

But I haven't seen this kind of floral print with an LA! I was excited about that ☺️

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Agree with the others; looks original to me. The LA seamstresses were very busy keeping up with demand as these styles were very popular. They were probably rushed off their feet with the pressure so I'm not surprised a label would be missewn occassionally.

Retro Ruth likes this.