1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leanne Label Evening Gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Delaney52, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Delaney52

Delaney52 Registered Guest

Hello fellow vintage lovers! I've ordered this gown to wear to my prom (assuming it fits and I am pleased with it when it arrives), and I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the label. It reads Leanne London, W.I. (I'm guessing London, Wisconsin; not London, England W1 postal code). The gown itself is late 50s/ early 60s. I've included photos of the dress and the label (they're not mine, they were taken by the seller).

Thank you!
    -Delaney

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. Beautiful gown! I especially love the deep scoop back.

I don't know anything about the label but it is London, England, not Wisconsin. Wisconsin's abbreviation wouldn't have a period between the W and the 1. And Googling reveals a few other dresses by this same maker (attributed to 1950s) and the sellers are in the UK.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Stunning dress! Let me know when you've finished with it....can't go wrong with a red gown :)
    Yes my immediate thought was it must be London England too, as Leanne has an accent on the e making it a french style brand name. I would also be inclined to think it was more from the early 60's with that low scoop back, I have a psychedelic print swimsuit with the same cut.
    I found a few other dresses with the same label, but no info on them unfortunately.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous Gown...I love the scooped back as well.

5. Delaney52

Thank you so much for the help, everyone :) I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the dress; it should be here from the UK within a week or two!

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Just to add, yes definitely London, England. W1 is the heart of the West End, and so is a prestigious post code, you quite often see it on labels.

Nowadays no-one would put a period/full stop between W and 1, but they used to.

Gorgeous gown!

7. Delaney52

Thank you, Ruth :)

8. Ruth's right - "W1" stands for "West 1". It's also where the rag trade is centred - I used to work for a fashion wholesaler and manufacturer which was near Oxford Circus, W1.

With the deep back and length, I think you can safely put this beautiful gown into the early to mid '60s.

N

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. Delaney52

Thanks, Nicole! Does anyone have suggestions as to hemming it? The front is slightly shorter than the back, so that might pose a problem. I'm not quite 5'4" and the dress is 59" in length, so I'm guessing it will be a bit long even with heels.

10. My general recommendation with hems is to redo it in the style that it currently is (assuming you're looking at the original hem).

This dress would probably have a hem that has been folded back a small bit, then pressed and sewn flat, then folded again, pressed and the edge hand sewn down, perhaps to the lining if the two are together. Does that make sense? I really should learn the proper names for the techniques: I know them all but not the names! Might have to refer to Claire Shaeffer's excellent book.

If the lining is separate, that probably has a top-stitched hem.

N

Pinkcoke likes this.
  11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Re it being longer at the back than the front, I think this is deliberate, giving the dress a kind of train / bustle effect at the back? If so, and the current hem is hanging how you want it, but is simply too long all round, you can take it up the same amount all around (eg two inches), measuring up from the bottom of the current hem.

If you think the dress shouldn't be longer at the back, and want to change it so it finishes the same length all around, you will need to wear the dress (or put it on a dress form), and then have someone pin the hem to the desired length, measuring up from the floor, so it hangs to the same length all round.

But I agree with Nicole, if this is the original hem and hasn't become distorted, I wouldn't alter the shape of it, and use the first method.

12. Delaney52

Ok, thanks for your suggestions! I'm not a seamstress myself, so I will probably end up taking it to a tailor, but the information provided was helpful nonetheless!

13. ShoppersDelightVintage

ShoppersDelightVintage Registered Guest

Sorry to hijack this thread (beautiful dress btw!), but I have literally looked high and low to find out information on this label with little luck, except for various examples of dresses by the elusive Leanné and indication about 'high end 1960's designer'. I would be really interested to read any information about the designer/label if anyone has any info? Many thanks

14. My suggestion is: take it up without cutting the fabric. What a beauty!