1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leather aviator bomber flight jacket 70s or 80s dating help and fur identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Sep 21, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,
    Wondering if this is 70s or 80s.....also the fur strikes me as rabbit or sheared beaver....not sure at all.
    Also wondering if one of the straps at the back of the collar is missing....cant quite tell what that is for.
    Thanks for any help.
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Just giving this a last bump chance.

3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Very cool bomber jacket -- bumping it up for the experts to see.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Looks mid to late 1980s to me, with that distressed effect. Cannot get a good look at the fur, could you post a close up for us, please? Probably rabbit fur, but not sure. I have no idea about the straps.

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Attached Files:

6. sarahf

sarahf Registered Guest

looks like 80s to me too, based on the faux-distressed look and the font on the leather ranch tag

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Fur looks like mouton. But I would have to feel it to be sure. Caryn may come along and she knows her furs very well.

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think perhaps the collar strap is some variant of a storm collar or throat tab, such as you sometimes see on wool coats or trench coats.

The strap would be fastened around the front of the collar, to hold it in place against wind and rain. It has poppers facing both ways, so it must be intended to fasten on either side. When not in use it stays fastened round the back as you have it, out of the way. Though with the way this collar zips right up, it seems a bit redundant, so perhaps it's more of a fashion thing. Unless it makes sense to use with the fur attachment in some way - I can't really see how they would interact.

Here's some examples of throat tabs on jackets.

Unfastened, and out of sight when the collar is down:
    [​IMG]

Fastened:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

thanks to you all!