1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leather Conditioner - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by sarah-jane, Jul 11, 2010.

1. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Hello

I'm returning to my snakeskin bag that we talked about here.

In searching around for a leather conditioner I've read that exotic skins require a lighter conditioner than regular leather (to prevent a build up under scales). Scout Reptile and Exotic Leather Cleaner is one that I've seen mentioned - but I can only find it for sale in the US.

Has anyone tried it? And can anyone confirm that snakeskin, lizard etc should be treated differently?

As ever, TIA.

Sarah

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I use Lexol, and I also use plain old saddle soap. Lexol can darken a light colored leather, so it needs a test.
    I would guess with lizard or snake you want to work in the direction of the scales - going with the grain as it were.

Hollis

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

For cleaning leather I use, like Lei, a good saddle soap, and for conditioning I generally use Cadillac leather conditioner. However, there is a company called Leather Therapy that sells a variety of leather cleaning & conditioning products, and I would check out their web site. I've been meaning to buy some of their stuff for some very old, dry leather items I have, and wrote to them a while back. They say they have had great luck with customers restoring leather items with their products. They may have something they would recommend especially for exotic skins. Their web site is www.leathertherapy.com

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Sarah-Jane - I can't help you at all, but I want to chat with you about something else (no U2U's) - can you send me your e-mail address?

I am - [email protected]

Thanks

5. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Done Amanda.

Thanks Anne and Hollis. I looked up Leather Therapy and they say:

"You’ll find that Leather Therapy WASH will clean all exotic leathers without drying or stripping....Leather Therapy Restorer is used by leather crafters to help prevent fracturing of dry leather while stitching (for manufacture or repair). And, there is no need to worry about product build-up near stitching, and beautiful tooled areas. It also enriches faded colors – in all leathers. That would solve your problem there.

"We have personally used the products to restore a wide variety of items like exotic skin handbags, golf bags, equestrian tack, shoes, motorcycle leathers, etc.. We’ve tested on ostrich, elephant, alligator, snake, reindeer, along with the more familiar leathers. Haven’t yet had the opportunity to test on stingray or eel, but my guess is that it would keep it flexible and looking just fine also."

That looks very promising!

Sarah

6. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

8. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Thanks DeCoDiVa, that gives me some more brand names to seek out. However, the advice here is:

"Clean the boots in the opposite direction as the snake's scales lie. Go against the grain."

Completely at odds with what Hollis said (which seems, intuitively, correct to me).

I like the sound of British Museum Leather Dressing Jonathan. I think it appeals to the snob in me. But I'm not sure my clumsy self should be trusted with heated hexane or ether. You might hear the bang from there.

Sarah

9. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

Boot advice

I thought so as well..then I read an article on caring for 'gator skin and the suggestion was VASELINE and I did a test spot since the case in question was in poor shape. (I was concerned regarding the petroleum base) but if it can be used on a baby's bottom I figured how could it hurt. It's made for skin right?

But lo and behold, it was rejuvenated. So I have since used Vaseline to lubricate my lizards and snakes (SAM EDELMAN's)..living in FLorida the heat tends to dry things out the moisture tends to rot or rust everything.:sunshine: