1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leather jacket - dating and cleaning advice?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kittenteethvintage, Mar 14, 2021.

1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

I've got a leather jacket from Wilsons Leather that I cannot find any match to online. I would guess that it is maybe 80's, but would love input from the community here if anyone is more familiar. The style number is 4223, and it says it was made in Korea if that provides any clues.

Also- there appears to be some white paint marks on some of the usual wear-points. Given their locations, I have to wonder if they are not paint, but rather scuffs? They just look so much like paint to me but I don't have too much experience with leather jackets so perhaps scuffing is a common issue on these areas (cuff, front zip area, etc). So- if it's paint what's the best way to remove? If it's scuffing, what to do? jacket (2).jpg cuff (2).jpg label (2).jpg wilsons (2).jpg zip (2).jpg

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

try tarrago universal cleaner. then use black leather paint. just be careful with acetate lining.

I have a leather/fabric combo blazer that I will be painting/touching up. I will post pictures. Mine was dry-cleaned though.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    GemGem likes this.
  3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

Are you sure you have a Wilsons leather jacket not and item giving the appearance it might be?

( see your photo of label and my two from genuine Wilsons leather jackets, spot the difference? )

Your jacket is not great quality but appears to be in reasonable condition, 70s onwards I think based on style of font.

What to do? don't spend to much money on it, Katarzyna's advise is the best way forward, although I use Huberd for all my leather clean/restore.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree, that looks like scuffing on the leather.

I think 70s or 80s on this jacket. A logo/label font may change... Avantbo, I can't see your whole jackets, but I see they say made in China - that would almost certainly make it newer than made in Korea from what I know.

GemGem likes this.
  5. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Thanks. Avantbo, I am confident that it is truly a Wilsons Leather jacket, as I have seen this label before and the quality in person is par to other Wilsons I've had in the past. Perhaps the pics do not do it justice. Regardless, I have also seen the label you have posted and it is definitely from a more modern piece than the one I currently have on hand.

Thanks for the input!

GemGem likes this.
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I bought a lot of leather and suede from Wilson back in the 80s, and almost all of it was made in Korea. The style of yours also has an early 80s look (or late 70s) but it would help to see it on a model or form.

GemGem and Midge like this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

You really need to establish if it's scuffing or paint on the surface before deciding what to do about the marks, as they need different approaches. If you can't tell by eye, perhaps try a magnifying glass. Look under good lighting.

If scuffing you need some kind of leather colouring polish/paint to cover the scuffs.

If paint you are need to try removing the paint somehow without damaging the leather. It will depend if it's water based or oil/emulsion paint I think.

GemGem likes this.
  8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh I totally agree with the late 70s early 80s dating by the experts. This has a distinct Bodie & Doyle feel to it :)
    As regards the paint/scuff... one easy way is to run your finger across, if it marginally dips in its a scuff and if it sits on the surface it will be proud. Also if you wet your finger and place it on a scuff it will go darker (as it absorbs it) and white paint will stay the same.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Excellent advice there!

GemGem likes this.
  10. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

Ive had a Vintage Wilson's Leather jacket with similar label. Late 70s/maybe early 80s.