1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lee Bender for Bust Stop sewing pattern

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RuthB, Jun 10, 2013.

1. RuthB

RuthB Registered Guest

Hi! I recently bought a box of vintage sewing patterns, and in it was a factory folded, unused dress pattern, designed by Lee Bender for Bus Stop by Woman magazine. I can't find any reference anywhere, and I even emailed Lee herself, who told me she has no recollection of it! I am guessing it was issued as part of a marketing campaign, but has anyone seen anything similar? I want to date and value it!
    Cheers!
    Ruth 2.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that's definitely 70s, Ruth, and adorable!

3. RuthB

RuthB Registered Guest

Thanks Mary! I assumed it was 1970's - it doesn't have any exact dates on it though as some patterns do, and I just can't find it referenced anywhere, but it is lovely isn't it? (I may have to copy it so I can make up a version!) I know some pattern companies 'showcased' young designers (particularly in 60's/70's) but I am reaching a dead end with this one!
    Cheers,
    Ruth

4. RuthB

RuthB Registered Guest

Lee Bender has emailed me again to say she remembers the dress being sold, but not ever issuing it as a pattern. The plot thickens!

5. thespectrum

thespectrum Trade Member Staff Member

It must be somewhat rare if Lee has such a sketchy recollection of it. It's very cute, 1970s classic 30s-40s revival.

Maybe Woman has an archives section, have you emailed them?

6. RuthB

RuthB Registered Guest

That's a good idea, I will do that next! Thanks!

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Very interested to see this so thanks for posting!

I would start by looking at listings for Woman magazines from that era, to see if any mention a free Lee Bender pattern, or the opportunity to collect for/purchase it.

8. carole Leslie

carole Leslie Registered Guest

Hi Ruth, I was searching for info on Mary Quant patterns and came across this site by chance as I recognised the Lee Bender pattern. I know it is 6 years since you posted your question so hopefully you get this reply. I had this pattern and made the short dress in my sewing class at school, it was around 1973/74. I absolutely loved the dress and wore it a lot. This has brought back great memories.